I Got Sensitive Ears and I Need Help
  • Login:

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Triumph Street Twin 2019

I Got Sensitive Ears and I Need Help

Hi!

I really love to ride bikes but the problem is I have sensitive ears that are prone to tinnitus. Just bought a pair of noise reduction ear plugs/ear piece and they do not fit well in my ears. I'm planning to get new ones but I'm torn between these two brands: Big Ear Inc and Pinlock.

First one is a company that offers customized ear protection and the second one had good reviews online. The thing is...I think I have an uneven ear canal and I'm not sure if a pair of generic plugs would be very useful. Make sure to check their respective websites since I still can't share URLs because I just joined the forum. I just hope you can help me decide what to buy.

P.S. I'm open to all your suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    I assume your bike still has the stock pipes on it ??

Then......if you have seen an "ear doctor" about your tinnitus, it probably would be good to let them help with ear plugs that will be best for you.

If you have not seen a doctor, now might be a good time.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2002 SV-650N, 2007Yamaha 1100 custom
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 i just got these and wore them once. they block 90% of wind noise which i was having a big problem with. ... they are inexpensive and may not last more than a season. there comfortable, but they block all sound, it's like being in a vacumn. i would recommend seeing a ear doctor and see if there is something available that will let in desirable sound.

... for now until i get used to them i'm going to enjoy the ride without feeling like i'm in a wind tunnel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    If you don't find anything in a motorcycle shop, you might try checking someplace like Guitar Center or an on-line shop for musicians. I have a set of earplugs that were fairly reasonable in price and are designed to reduce the volume without a complete loss of any frequencies (ideal for a musician on stage or when attending a concert). I picked mine up on-line from Thomann, an on-line shop for musicians in Europe -EarPeace Ear Protection Plugs - €14.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

My Bike(s)
    2005 Boulivard M95 VZ1600
    Welcome to the forum. I have tinnitus in my right ear, but found mine would not ring when plugs were in my ears. The combination of plugs and a good helmet should take care of your wind noise, if not try adding a windshield.

My Bike(s)
    2004 Sportster
    Molded ear plugs!

I have severe tinnitus and oddly shaped ear canals that do not cooperate the best with standard plugs. Even with a good set of 'standard' plugs, my ear canal gets irritated and sore on very long rides. I'm sure there's several makers out there, I had mine made by earinc.com at a booth they had setup at Sturgis. They are a bit spendy but block pretty much everything and help keep wind noise out if you do not have a full helmet and or windshield like others have mentioned.

My Bike(s)
    2005 C50T
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobBiker101 View Post
    Hi!

I really love to ride bikes but the problem is I have sensitive ears that are prone to tinnitus. Just bought a pair of noise reduction ear plugs/ear piece and they do not fit well in my ears. I'm planning to get new ones but I'm torn between these two brands: Big Ear Inc and Pinlock.

First one is a company that offers customized ear protection and the second one had good reviews online. The thing is...I think I have an uneven ear canal and I'm not sure if a pair of generic plugs would be very useful. Make sure to check their respective websites since I still can't share URLs because I just joined the forum. I just hope you can help me decide what to buy.

P.S. I'm open to all your suggestions.

Thanks!

My Bike(s)
    2005 C50T
    Me too. Save yourself some money. If you have tinnitus have you hearing checked to see if there's hearing loss. My ear doctor said there's no cure for it. Get the foam earplugs shaped like a cone. you can roll the narrow end to a small cone and insert it in your ear. The foam will expand and turn your engine noise to a hum. I've been using a brand called Quiet Time for years. They're purple-ish, but who's going to see them besides you?

Sponsored Links