new member, new RSTD
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    Royal Star Tour Deluxe

new member, new RSTD

Hey just joining up as I just purchased a '96 Royal Star. Seems to be pretty much stock, though my guess is it's been desmogged and debaffled. Don't really like loud pipes (despite what they say), so might look into changing the exhaust (perhaps just replacing/repacking baffles). I would like your guys' advice what I should start with for basic maintenance. PO says he did the air filter (I'll verify that), oil change, and it has new tires on there. (I wonder if the person/shop who changed the rear tire did the final drive maintenance?) My ride home from the purchase was quite rainy! Seattle, July, go figure. But she handled quit well. backfired a lot on decal. Anyway, I think she's a beauty with only 19K miles on her and I plan to use her as a daily rider back-up sort of cruiser. I'm not a new rider. My other bike is a '98 Valkyrie with over 85K on her--best bike I've ever owned... so far Thanks for your advice. I'll fill out all the profile stuff later, but I'm located in Western Washington.

Tom, aka Kachow

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Welcome.
    By all means "verify" that air filter.
    A "high flow" filter will tend to lean out the fuel mixture and make the popping exhaust worse.

Don't be fooled by "baffles" that are an open pipe from one end to the other.
    Those do almost nothing to abate the noise.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links