Trip report 2908-miles on '87 GSX-R
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rock it!

My Bike(s)
    87 GSX-R 750

Trip report 2908-miles on '87 GSX-R

Trip report . . . the ride there . . . :

Day 1: We rolled out at about 5:15 on Sun am trying to beat the heat. Pushed it real hard the first few stops trying to beat the heat as much as possible. We managed pretty well until we started rolling into OKlahoma. That's when the heat started rolling in a bit. Didn't see any dead Amadillos in TX, but when we rolled into OK, they were everywhere. Hmmmm . . . we were hydrating big time. Lots of water and gatorade at every stop.

North of OKC I damn near ran over a snapping turtle that was in my lane. WTF? TURTLE? Where the hell did that come from??? Lorie said I missed him by about an inch or so. I had to dodge him by a quick flick of the bars. I thought I was getting tired and imagining things. We made it to Wichita which was the inital goal, but there WAS still daylight . . . ate at Applebees for a cool-off. We decided to cut the breaks down to 50-miles and we would ride until it was dark. Lorie mentioned a pool to swim in when we stopped. I saw a Comfort inn with a pool and hot tub! YES! Rolled in as the light was almost gone about 9:20 p.m. 720-miles and about 16-hours later. We wanted to push it hard to help keep the hours down on day two. Both bikes ran great which was good news. Hot tub really helped as did the cold pool. Weren't so sore as we thought.

Day 2: Woke up to fog and a lot of static humidity. Rolled out at about 6:45 a.m. I still have a glitch in the electrical harness where one of the cylinders wants to cut out. Dunno if it is a plug wire or something more in the harness. We got on the highway and the fog got worse and worse. I'm talking massive euro-fog the likes which I haven't seen since I was in Germany. Visibility was down to about 100-yards or less. My helmet was getting really fogged out inside and out, as were my glasses. I had to stop at one point to clean off my glasses and windscreen. Kinda scary shiznit pulling off the road like that. I was dealing with that and also dealing with the engine cutting out. We rode like this for close to 100-miles with the fog and engine issues. It got so bad at one point I yanked the harness and it stopped for a while. After Hays KS, the temps rose a bit and we finally got out of most of the fog. The cutting out issue eventually went away and the bike ran fine. We dealt with wicked sidewinds the rest of the trip up. No biggie and I was expecting it. Both bikes ran fine. Temps rose a bit but the lack of humidity was refreshing.

About 100-miles out We stopped for gas. Met up with a guy on a decked out BMW GS who had passed us earlier. We got to talking and he scrunched his face as he looked at my bike and said “That’s real mans touring right there”. He basically thought I was nuts. Also ran into a guy on a Bandit 1200 from Alaska. We talked a bit and was glad “someone” (meaning me) had some taste in bikes HA! Ride into town was uneventful until we pulled off the highway a few miles from home. We hit a major intersection with a traffic light on the “stop and go” mode. My bike started overheating bad. Clutch started grabbing and stalling the motor. I pulled off and tried to find another way home. Almost got hit by a car because I couldn’t pull the clutch in. Lories bike started running super hot as well. Needless to say, after a mile or two of air across the motor, the clutch started working OK and we made it. Tank was blistering hot at the house. Fuel vapors under the tank bag blistered the clearcoat on the tank. I had to scrape it all away so that it wouldn’t fall into the tank. I was a little concerned, but I rode the bike the next day and she ran fine. Tank hasn’t been that hot since a ride down the 80 back from Sacto in 2002 when I got caught in rush hour traffic and blistered my leg insides. Nuts, but I think bike is OK. Just kinda sucked after all that riding to have that happen at a f***ing stoplight. Oh well. Mom brought out two Heineken’s for us and handed them off before we were even off the bikes! Mom rocks!
    More info later.

- Nut
    Person or person's unknown.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Rock it!

My Bike(s)
    87 GSX-R 750

After 1175-miles.

Aspen Park, CO

Deer Creek Canyon

Tiny Town, CO

- Nut

Rock it!

My Bike(s)
    87 GSX-R 750

Kenosha Pass 14,000 feet

Repairing electrical problems south of Buena Vista, CO.

East of Bailey, CO on US 285.

Beer and Cigar watching the rain 20 Jul 10. 1466 miles so far by this time.

- Nut

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Rock it!

My Bike(s)
    87 GSX-R 750

Old bike, old driveway where I grew up and the bike spent a lot of years.

- Nut

Sponsored Links