helmet advice
  • Login:

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: helmet advice

helmet advice

Good evening guys,First time poster.Need some advice.I have a Harley 2012 fat bob and bought the full face Harley helmet, the one that has the bottom piece that lifts up so your chin is exposed and has the tinted visor inside as well.The problem is, the wind noise is insane. Shocking. Terrible. I would expect a brand like this to be far better.I am now looking at the following 3: Arai, shark, shoei.I want the same feature with the bottom that lifts up exposing the ching and face but has excellent noise reduction. What I mean is wind noise.At 100km/h the Harley one sounds like you are not wearing a helmet I live in South Africa and would appreciate any advice.Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    I'm not sure you're going to find what you are looking for - a flip-up helmet will always be louder than a full-face helmet. Part of the noise is caused by the air rushing over the surface of the hemet - and a flip-up helmet has more places where the air flow is disrupted, causing them to be louder.

In my experience, the most expensive models (Schubert, Arai, BMW...) offer better performance, both in terms of stability as well as noise reduction. But when taking longer rides, I wear ear plugs under the helmet - less noise = less fatigue. I've tried riding with music, but this can be a problem. I had Pink Floyd on my MP3 player, which is good riding music. But if an AC/DC or Metallica song comes around, I need to watch my speed...

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Quote Originally Posted by harleysa1 View Post
    Good evening guys,First time poster.Need some advice.I have a Harley 2012 fat bob and bought the full face Harley helmet, the one that has the bottom piece that lifts up so your chin is exposed and has the tinted visor inside as well.The problem is, the wind noise is insane. Shocking. Terrible. I would expect a brand like this to be far better.I am now looking at the following 3: Arai, shark, shoei.I want the same feature with the bottom that lifts up exposing the ching and face but has excellent noise reduction. What I mean is wind noise.At 100km/h the Harley one sounds like you are not wearing a helmet I live in South Africa and would appreciate any advice.Thanks
    I would get the top only helmet, very cost effective and look at it this way- you live near the equator it is not like you are going to freeze. maybe some safety glasses and one of those face protector things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    im fairly happy with my bell rs1. however its not modular.

i think my next one is the roof boxer. which is modular and actually available where you live.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I bought a few used helmets and removed and cleaned the insides then put them back in. with one I painted the outside with a stencil of my hand(with a disposable glove) and a sprocket.

Guys thanks so much for all the replies and advice.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010

helmet advice

If you look at web site reviews for quiet helmets you will see that Schuberth rates very well, a J1 is what I use in Australia, somewhat similar riding conditions to SA. But do get ear plugs, they are a must for a quiet ride.

Baft Dastard
    My Bike(s)
    M800 Intruder (M50 Boulevard)
    HJC for the win.

I headbutted a removals van at 40mph two years ago and HJC saved my skin.

When God rides, he rides in Scotland. I know this for a fact, because people often confuse him with me..!!

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Be careful, I heard there are 2.5 pound grasshoppers that like to jump back and forth over the roadways in that area, loud exhausts scare them.

Sponsored Links