bike ramp
  • Login:

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: bike ramp

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500

bike ramp

Anyone have any idea where to get (or maybe even tips on how to make) a ramp to load a motorcycle into the back of a pickup truck? Every once in awhile it needs to be done, and usually at that time, no one is around to help. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    I can't recommend a brand anymore, but if you go the ramp route just make sure you get a wide enough 1 to ride it up and back it out by yourself. I abandoned ramps long time ago after loosing my footing backing down and dropping one.

I felt safer by myself to justify the expense of a single moto trailer.
    I ate Chinese last night..........should of seen her struggle when i put her in the van.
    Доверя́й, но проверя́й.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Blue M50
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbar
    I can't recommend a brand anymore, but if you go the ramp route just make sure you get a wide enough 1 to ride it up and back it out by yourself. I abandoned ramps long time ago after loosing my footing backing down and dropping one.

I felt safer by myself to justify the expense of a single moto trailer.
    I'm with you on this one. I'll load an atv or dirt bike into the back of my truck any day without ramps, but these road bikes are just too damn heavy to mess around with loading them into the back of trucks. My father-in-law just dumped his brand new Harley a month ago doing this. Got half way up the ramp and let off the throttle and it just went over. Didn't do much damage, but it scared him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    C50 Blue/Black
    Unless you have a low rider truck, it is a spooky task. My son wiped out the lower fairing on his R6 last year because the center was too close at the peak of the ramp. I imagine my C 50 would not have much clearance either. I agree with the trailer idea

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black
    I'm for trailers too. The thought of trying to load my new M50 into the back of my F-350 scared the wits out of me, even though I had the option of borrowing wide high quality 10' ramp. $15 for renting a motorcycle trailer at Uhaul was the way to go, IMO. Unless I run into the need to trailer it more than 3 or 4 times a year, I'm just going to keep renting that Uhaul trailer. Otherwise I may look into buying one, but then were to store the thing?

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Suz Marauder VZ800, Kaw Fll 250; Sons Suz Intruder LC1500, Yam YZ 125
    Don't have tons of experience, son bought a 3-fold aluminum ramp from sportsmansguide.com. Pretty scary ramping up from level ground, so we try to find a ditch or swale of some kind to put the trucks rear wheels in. That puts the ramp into a bridge mode, easier and safer we think.

Rock it!

My Bike(s)
    87 GSX-R 750
    Buy a ramp that is made for the task, and there won't be any problem. I paid something like $100 for mine. Loaded how many race/streetbikes into the back of my truck over the years? Nope, never dropped ANY, even when loading by myself.

And, anyone who uses the throttle with the bike running to assist in loading the bike into a truck or trailer is asking for it.

Just spend the $$$, quit being cheap and be done with it.

- Nut
    Person or person's unknown.

Leaned over, knee down
    I use used aluminum scaffolding from a construction site. I talked to a friend of mine that got some they were throwing out because the hooks were broken on one end. I use 2 of them side by side, and I strap them to the tailgate, it's almost as wide as the tailgate. It's very easy to ride a bike into the back of the truck with this setup. The only time I have ever had a problem is if the frame on the bike is to low, than I have to park the truck so the back tires are somewhat lower than the ramps. The used ones work great because they are covered with concrete droppings that give excellent traction.
    I prefer carrying my bikes in the truck. I feel the tralers bounce around to much, and if they are not inclosed, the bikes can get road grime, and rock chips on them.

Third gear and cruising
    I've had no trouble with a single ramp that I've bought at Lowes. Best way to do it is to park the truck at the end of the driveway so that the bed is as low as posible. Now, I do luck out haveing a fairly light sport bike. In my driveway the slope is good enough that the bed of the truck is only a foot or so above the starting point of the ramp. I have no toruble just walking along side my bike while having her idle up the ramp.
    After that I use a Canyon Runner Strap to compress the forks.
    This is the way I've moved the bike 3 times now, once at a distance of over 1000 miles.
    No problems yet.
    RIP - Arlen, Ross, and Dad. 6/22/02
    ---------------

---------------
    Donít tell me about disappointment! Iím a Chicago Cubs fan!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
    Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2005 M50 Black
    I was once thinking about getting those cheap ramps from Harbor Freight. One for the bike to idle up on and one for me to walk alongside it at the same time. Thing is those ramps don't have a hump in them if memory serves, but I would load and unload at the bottom of driveways or off of curbs anyway, so perhaps the hump isn't needed. I wrote it off as too dangerous, now I'm confused and maybe it would have been okay?

Linky
    Last edited by BillyBumbler; 12-05-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    1982 GS650G ------- soon a cruiser
    Looks way to dangerous to me. I was considering the ramp idea also but my truck sits way too high and I have heard of far too many horror stories.

Sponsored Links