Helmet advice
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Helmet advice

My Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R

Helmet advice

I need a new helmet, Iíve had my LS2 FF370 for over 5 years.

Should I go to a shop or buy online?

Where is the best place to buy online?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Up to you really buying online you dont know if it will fit and what it looks like in the flesh....unless you go to a shop and try the exact same one on. Plus if the one you buy online is damaged in transit you have to go through the PITA of returning it. For thes sorts of purchases i have always bought at a local shop...you can get a better deal if you ask...they are usually open to a reasonable deal.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R
    I’ve heard that we should change our helmets every five years because the expanded polystyrene breaks down over time compromising the impact protection properties. Is this true?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Do some online research and form your own conclusion.

IF.....the helmet is worn a LOT and/or it is exposed to the elements when not being worn, then I think 5 years might be about right.

But I think those estimates are very conservative and I do mine about every 10 years.

YMMV.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    I agree, 5 years is pretty much the life expectancy of a helmet, whether or not you use it a lot or not.

And buy it from a local shop. As ER said, your life depends on a perfectly fitting helmet, so you want to buy it where you can try it on and get service if needed.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

The best prices are typically found on line. The benefit of buying online is that you also get see the reviews. Some online retailers also typically offer free shipping. A good online helmet buying guide with videos can be found at https://theeliteproduct.com/motorcyc...-buying-guide/ .

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by andystone View Post
    The best prices are typically found on line. .
    Our recent obsession with getting the cheapest price possible has, in many cases, ensured that we get the cheapest quality goods possible and the "good" stuff, along with the good people who service them have disappeared.

Saving a buck, especially when fit is so important, might not be the best thing to do.
    I have better things to do than send back a helmet twice to get one that fits good.

And I want my local dealer to still BE there when I really need him.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Yamaha Vmax
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Our recent obsession with getting the cheapest price possible has, in many cases, ensured that we get the cheapest quality goods possible and the "good" stuff, along with the good people who service them have disappeared.
    Quality and Price do not always go hand in hand, and this type of thinking is what causes many to not look for quality... That thinking has to change.

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    As a follow-up to this thread: Many shops are now willing to match an on-line price from a respectable web shop. I invested in new equipment last fall (musical instruments, not motorcycles) and the salesguy checked prices against the big on-line handler and verified that he was matching (or pretty close to) their on-line prices. Just this week, I made a "wish list" on an online shop, then went to a local store to compare. It turned out that the local store had more options available and I ended up SAVING money over buying on-line, plus I was able to take everything home with me instead of waiting 3 or 4 days for it to be delivered.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

Sponsored Links