Power Commander
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Power Commander

Power Commander

Hey Guys!

Does anybody know what would be a good place to buy a Power Commander for my 1997 GSX-R750 (first model with fuel injection)? I believe only the PCII will fit this model. BTW, I live in Montreal Canada...

How much should I pay for it? Is installation straightforward enough for me to attempt it myself?

Thanks for any info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    I know in the US the GSXR didnt come out with Fuel Injection until 1998 I know this because I have one. Now this may be different for out of country versions so you may wanna check that you have a "W" model (GSX-R 750W) of the gixxer. The 1997 model of the gixxer is referred to as the "V" model and was carbed. The easiest way to check will be your guages. If you have an FI light on you guages then self explanatory.

Considering you have a 750 "W" then you are correct that the PCII is the right version for you.
    98 Corona Racing

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Hehe. I'm sure the guy knows whether it has carbs or not.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
    My Bike(s)
    2003 Volusia SE
    What's a carb ?.

Gixxer 750, first year with fuel injection was 1998 U.S and Canada.

Yadda yadda yadda, whatever, they ain't going to listen anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I may be a Newbie, but I know a thing or two about mechanical things and, trust me on this one, this bike is a FI... though I was as surprised as you are when I learned this, as I, too, thought FI only came out in 1998.

So, this preliminary question being out of the way, do you have any suggestions as to where to get my PCII and how difficult it is to install?

Thanks!

Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
    My Bike(s)
    2003 Volusia SE
    A.M.I Sport Honda in Laval seems to be the only service center listed for Quebec, of course you could just check EBay or maybe one of the many sites that sell Dynojets.

One problem that pops to mind is that they list a different model for 98-99 GSX-R 750 than for the 00-01 gixxer 750. So I think you need to find out exactly what engine you've got stuffed in there.

Yadda yadda yadda, whatever, they ain't going to listen anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

I went to check yesterday whether I could cross-reference the serial numbers on various parts, but it seems that I will have to take off the fairings to be able to see anything there.

(FYI, if you have been following the saga as to whether or not my bike is injected despite being the wrong model year, I can confirm that there is a small black box with a Denso sticker on it and a multi-wire connector plugged in it that's nicely fitted in the tail section of my Gixxer. If that's not the ECM, that may I be damned!)

Lastly, despite the ludicrous whether we have to put up with since last Friday, the forecast is for much warmer weather next weekend, so hopefully a ride is not out of the question. Let me know when you get you Volusia out from storage! Plus I can't wait to get your eagle eye on my Gixxer to help shed some light on its history and status...

Cheers,

My Bike(s)
    1998 GSX-R 750W

GSXR 750 EFI

Hi
    I have a 1998 GSX-R 750 and was enlightened when the shop told me it was not fuel injected. I argued with them but they came back with some valid points.
    I guess for 98 and 99, Suzuki made a throttle body fuel injection system but it is not Electronic. I do have a carb and they told me I couldn't put a power commander in my bike.
    The throttle is pretty rough on my bike and I would like to fix that. I also would like to gain more low speed power ( it feels like all my power is top end speed).
    So... I see you guys writing that it is fuel injected and the shop is telling me Suzuki didn't come out with an EFI bike until 2000...
    Could someone shed some light on this?

Thanks...
    John

My Bike(s)
    1998 GSXR 750
    I have a 98 gsxr 750 and i went to the dealership to get a power commander. Needless to say there were 2 guys at the desk argueing about if it is injected or not. Anyway i now have a pc III ex hooked up with the yoshimura map. Im lovin it

Sponsored Links