Motorcycle Forum banner

Fuel Mileage For Stratoliner

81K views 100 replies 59 participants last post by  SamsonW 
#1 ·
Yamaha claims that the roadliner & stratoliner can get up to 200 miles on a tank of gas. That would equal about 48 mpg. I'm getting about 130 miles per tank which is about 32 1/2 mpg. What are other roadliner or stratoliner riders getting?:confused:

#27 ·
Price/ Milage

I purchased a new 06 Stratoliner for $11,700 with a set of 3" Roadburner pipes included. I added a power comamder and a K&N air filter. Can't find any Maps so the dealership put on map for cobra without baffels and aftermarket filter w/o O2 sensor hooked up, Runs GREAT. I ride it easy and am getting 32 to 37 mpg now and am taking in for 600 mile this weekend. I am hoping I will get better milage when she is broken in. I might take to a certified dynometer place and have them make a Map for the bike and see if it helps milage and preformance. My other bike is a 98 Valk, I like both but if I had to sell one it would be the Stratoliner unless it starts getting over 40 mpg.

#28 ·
I have to say that I haven't checked what I'm getting exactly because I love the bike and no matter what it is - it is. I do know that I'm not getting anywhere close to 45 mpg though. I only have 255 miles on the bike so maybe it will improve but then I'm sure I'll be riding it faster after it's finished being broken in so forget that maybe it will improve. Whatever it is, I love the bike. I can't say that I'm totally babying it during the brake in but I'm not checking to see what the top end is either. If you want to own a bike that has 1900 cc and 113 cu in. you can't expect it to get the gas mileage that the old volkswagen bugs used to get.

#29 ·
Valk

pops441 said:
I purchased a new 06 Stratoliner for $11,700 with a set of 3" Roadburner pipes included. I added a power comamder and a K&N air filter. Can't find any Maps so the dealership put on map for cobra without baffels and aftermarket filter w/o O2 sensor hooked up, Runs GREAT. I ride it easy and am getting 32 to 37 mpg now and am taking in for 600 mile this weekend. I am hoping I will get better milage when she is broken in. I might take to a certified dynometer place and have them make a Map for the bike and see if it helps milage and preformance. My other bike is a 98 Valk, I like both but if I had to sell one it would be the Stratoliner unless it starts getting over 40 mpg.
I have a Valk Tourer & an I/S parts bike {from my LAST accident}. :fight1:
The Valk is a better all around {practical} bike than the Strato ! ;)
However,after having a bad accident AND a freakin' heart attack I'm lookin' for some excitement. :shock:
It's probably the map that is usin' up gas.
I only have 1,000 miles on mine and get 40mpg.
Of course if you are cruising at above 70mph the mileage will suffer because the bike is geared too low for high speed travel. :roll:

The Valk is the same way.
Above 70mph sends the mileage plummeting.
I have 144,000 miles on my tourer & 42,000 on the I/S !

JJ

#33 ·
I was getting 33-36 when I checked it. I got curious after reading other posts, as to what I could get If I babied it,. 40.4 mpg. Probably could have done slightly better, on the highway, but that was around town no down shifting, no fast starts,nice and easy and on 87 octane. most of the time I run 92, but they were out. I felt pretty good with 40, considering high test is $2.85 today. currently about 3000 miles on this scooter.

#35 ·
I wanted to wait a couple of tanks before I posted. Roughly 340 miles on my '06 midnight. only add-ons at purchase were passing lamps and backrest. A Memphis fat 21" (fade to black) is on the way. Right now with fairly conservative break-in riding I'm averaging 41 mpg. I've fuelled up before the dummy light had come on yet. I know they say you've .8 gallons left when it comes on, but I don't want to end up walking. It's usually around the 135-138 mark and I add about 3.6 gallons to fill. I usually shift around 2500-3000 and use the engine for braking.

#39 ·
Going to & from Sturgis last year with my wife on the back (she's a skinny little thing) & bags full, I averaged 44 mpg. The bike is all stock. In town, to & from work, it averages at 40 mpg. Better than the Warrior I had (but it wasn't stock), it got 32 in town & 36 mpg on trips........Every 100 miles, I was hoping there was a gas station close by.

My buddys I ride with have Dynas with the 88 inchers & they get great mileage.........a tad over 50 mpg. So they always ribbed me in fun (when I had the Warrior) cause they'd fill up every other time I'd have to fill up. It's not as often now with the Strato though...........better mileage & more capacity than the Warrior.

#42 ·
gas mileage

Okay,

I just bought a strat "S" and I love it. Great riding bike. This is the first bike I have ever bought. I got it because the gas prices in CA are killing me. Dealer stated that I should get 40 - 45 mph once the bike is broken in. I have 300 miles on it now. I am only getting 117 miles to the tank. Hope it gets better.

#43 ·
Mileage

My Strat is broken in now with 5,300 miles on her.

The Strat is sensitive to your throttle hand and your average road speed ! :roll:

If I cruise at 60mph and just feather the throttle I can get 46-48 mpg. :bluethum:
If I run with the cars on the interstate at 80+ mph I only get 32-36 max. :shock:
I'm guessin' that you are goin' fast.
You will NEVER get great mpg if you go fast.
The bike sounds fantastic at 45-65 mph.

JJ

#44 ·
'06 Stratoliner Fuel Mileage

I'll tell you one thing...I don't know how they pulled those number out of their a$$:fight2:, but I can't even come close to getting 200 miles per tank in SoCal! I ride 15 miles to and from work on the highway daily, and am barely getting 120 miles to a tank. I tried everything, upshifting at lower RPM (then I hear the engine bog down), installed a Power Commander III/USB and that didn't work either. I'm starting to get a bit...:whistle:

#45 ·
Mileage

First off,they are talking about 200 miles.........including RESERVE ! ;)

I easily get 200 miles per full tank. :cool:
I think you mean that your reserve light comes on at 130 miles.

You must be riding fast and/or twistin' the throttle. :scooter:

Riding between 60 - 70 and bein' easy on the gas I easily get 180 miles before reserve comes on.

Once you go past 2500 rpm the gas mileage goes into the toilet.
A PCIII won't help mileage and you only would use one with a big air kit.

You can put a 65 tooth rear pulley on and a 215/60-17 and lower your rpm's.

JJ

#46 ·
my 2 cents, I asked a guy at a gas station what he got for mileage and he said, "32 - 33 mpg tops."

I think it was a stratoliner. It was a very nice machine.

#51 ·
When I get to 140 miles on the bike. I had better be looking for a fuel station. A lot depends on how full you fill your tank. I have 25K on my Roadliner and I ride it hard. I run 80MPH on the E way and I live in the country. The E way is the only way to get to town. I fill the tank within an inch of the top now. I never did before. Maybe I will get better mileage now.
Willie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.