Motorcycle Forum banner

Fuel Mileage For Stratoliner

81K views 100 replies 59 participants last post by  SamsonW 
#1 ·
Yamaha claims that the roadliner & stratoliner can get up to 200 miles on a tank of gas. That would equal about 48 mpg. I'm getting about 130 miles per tank which is about 32 1/2 mpg. What are other roadliner or stratoliner riders getting?:confused:

#54 ·
Mileage

Well I've had her a year now and 22,000 miles on the clock ! :cool:
I don't know if you guys know it but the speedo/odo is optomistic by at least 5%. :whistle:
That said,your mileage is a little lower than it looks.
I am running a car tire on mine now and it's a larger circle and much closer to ACTUAL mileage/odometer possibly an overdrive.
Babying her I get 42 -45 now.
It's probably a little more than that 'cause the speedo/odo doesn't know she's a little overgeared. :roll:
5,000 on the car tire so far !

JJ

#56 ·
I have an 06 roadliner with med. windshield and average 48 on the highway at 60 mph and town at 35 and45 mph. Went to the smokie mtns Saturday and averaged 44 running 75 on the interstate and 35 to 55 on the side roads. The harley's were averaging 50 to 55 but couldn't keep up when I pulled out to pass on the interstate.

#59 ·
Brand new (so this really doesnt mean F'all) but I have ~400 miles (hey... only got it Sunday night... and my boss had no sympathy for my plea for some personal time...) and on my 07 Strat I am getting ~ 38-~39mpg ... after reading this thread I can expect that to improve after the breakin and initial service ...

hell, its still better than my car :)

#61 ·
My mileage stinks, but I don't really care that much, cause it is my fault. I can't stop my wrist from twisting the throttle every chance I get, it still gives me grins. Maybe it will wear off and then I will lay off some. I won't hold my breath though...It was like me trying to lay off the pedal on my Hemi in my Dodge truck with a Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, I just loved the sound too much. I now have a Hemi Jeep with MDS with stock exhaust so I do lay off the throttle a lot more I must admit.

#63 · (Edited)
Fuel Mileage --- Update!!!

Folks, I know a lot of you are mad that you get lousy fuel mileage from your Stratoliners! I do too! Damn thing won't get more then dog gone 160 miles per tank. Yamaha lied to everyone about this, and the only way they got this BS 200 miles to a tank number was rolling down hills in Colorado and towing it back up those hills behind a truck :sad:

#64 ·
Mpg

That's darn good.
I have Big Air & a slipon so I have to take what I can get for mileage.
Cruising at 60-70 and passin' cars whenever I feel like it gets me 38 {ACTUAL MPG}*, which is fine considering the power available ! :D

* {the stock strato speedo/odo is at least 5% off}:sad:

JJ :whistle:

#65 ·
We rode 335 miles yesterday here in Ca., 6000 total miles on the bike, and I seen about 35mi. per gal. These were mostly highway miles, with the Stratoliner, and the stock Windshield..(which I really do not like, due to the amount of wind that gets to me). Any suggestions on a better windscreen for these bikes? I read about these bikes before I purchase mine, on the test back in 2006, and it was mentioned the windscreen was developed, with the curved bottom area to make a pretty comfortable ride, NOT for me...The first thing my brother mentioned was the windscreen, and the turbulence he got while riding my Stratoliner. Possibly a medium or short might react better, or an aftermarket?? Thanks for your reply to this post. I now have enough miles, and getting ready to modify a few things, pipes, windscreen, fuel and ignition module, and possibly a tooth larger on the front pulley, or a few larger in the rear. Lets hear your ideas, thanks Charlie

#67 ·
#68 ·
Get a Rifle windshield AND some lowers and you will be good ! :bluethum:
RIFLE Fairings-Yamaha Stratoliner/Roadliner Replacement Windshield for 2006-Yamaha-XVZ19-Stratoliner

I had a 28" wide & now have a 26" wide.
The lowers will kill most of the buffeting.
The windshield is at the wrong angle AND is too narrow.
Yamaha never fixed it.

JJ
How does going from 28" to 26" wide stop more air. I have the Yam medium shield and the buck lowers an receive little air.

Willie

#70 ·
Great news on this Stratoliner windshield, and thanks for your ideas. I felt as I have put miles on my bike, that possibly the angle might be wrong, possibly a bit steep, and also narrow. The bike is super, I am looking to put on some performance parts to let the motor get the air, ignition, fuel, and exhaust better. But the bike first has to be more comfortable to ride. My brother rode my bike for awhile, as I rode his Midnight Roadstar, and he also mentioned the wind he was getting from behind the windshield. His aftermarket windshield on his Roadstar was alot nicer to be riding behind, but everythiing else was alot nicer on the Stratoliiner. Anyone out there have any ideas on exhaust, and fuel processor or fuel pak, or PCIII parts that work well just bolting them on? Thanks for your reply, Charlie.........

#71 ·
Stock

For a wide power band there is nothing that works better on the street than the stock exhaust. :cool:
I heard that from nigel patrick at patrick racing.
People change it because they want more noise.
The Patrick Big Air Kit is the best.
I run one with a Power Commander and a D&D slipon.
It sounds nice & deep without that loud raspy noise that most of the full systems have.
The added benefit is that if you have to pass a sniff test all you have to do before you get inspected is put the stock slipon back on ! :bluethum:
I have 43,000 miles on my Strato in 2 years.
She's a SWEET gal.

JJ

#72 ·
My stuff

I've got Roadburner 3" stepped drag pipes installed with a PCIII on my liner. I immediately noticed an increase in power. The sound is great, deep and throaty, subtle when idling at 50-70mph but twist that throttle and people notice. I LOVE my new exhaust! My next purchase will be a Patrick Big Air Kit to help my baby breath a little better.

#75 ·
My a$$ 200 miles! Maybe downhill in Colorado :mrgreen: I never saw anything beyong 170 miles to a tank, and that's riding it very very easily and 55mph on the dot on the freeway praying that a truck won't run me over :D

Best I get is about 160-170 to a tank with stock set-up.

#76 ·
I have bone stock 07 Strato with 2400 miles..I'm 300lbs,wife 250..Bike mileage doesn't seem bothered by weight,but by throttle hand and rpm..when ridden hard I get 38mpg..when ridden moderately combined city,open road,average 43..
The buffeting is not caused by windshield..Two things help,one bring legs togeather on side of tank,second,Install windshield "Lowers",Bucks lowers sells em,bug help,but lot more heat radiates from engine..I don't recommend for summer use...randy

#77 ·
Your not going to get much better than 43MPG. You don't get big HP, G force torque and high speed without using more fuel. If you want more MPG you need a 650 not a 1858. You must fill both of those holes with something and its going to be a balance of air and fuel. Your cylinder and piston are so large that a special shaped piston and the addition of another spark plug was required to burn all the fuel. If you looking for economy you purchased the wrong bike. Because it's all performance driven. What a bike. Can't wait for the 2010 bikes and that new streamline super stratoliner.

Willie

#79 ·
I also over fill my tank according to the owners manual. I fill it within 1/2 inch from the top. Not stopping at the bottom of the fill neck as the book says. You need to be careful if you over fill on a hot day. The cool fuel will heat and expand spilling it. I fill and go. No waiting around.:D

Willie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.