Motorcycle Forum banner

Adjusting Heel Toe Shifter

28K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  AloRaptor 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Hope you all love your bike as much as me. Just got a Stratoliner midnight and was wondering if anyone knew a site I could go to and see how to adjust the heel portion of the shifter down a little. Also, does anyone know if they make risers for the midnight yet? I rolled the bars down a bit and it helps but a pair of risers would definately put me where I want to be. Ride safe!

#2 ·
snowboardermidnight said:
Hey everyone. Hope you all love your bike as much as me. Just got a Stratoliner midnight and was wondering if anyone knew a site I could go to and see how to adjust the heel portion of the shifter down a little. Also, does anyone know if they make risers for the midnight yet? I rolled the bars down a bit and it helps but a pair of risers would definately put me where I want to be. Ride safe!
Heel toe are two units and are on splines. Pull them off and see for yourself and then let us know. Maybe i'll do that when I get home, I like tinkering on the bike.

#4 ·
Right, just take the set screw out and the whole toe/heel shifter will come off the spline. Make sure you take notice of the position of the toe portion on the spline for placing it back on. Once the shifter is off, remove the set screw for the heel portion and slide it off and reposition it up or down to where it's comfortable for you.

If you end up changing the toe shifter to the chromed unit, you will have to press the spline out of the old shifter. Make sure you pull the clip out first though.

#10 ·
Interesting post fella's. Got my attention since I installed the heel toe shifter on my M50 earlier in the week. I had some fine tuning to adjust on mine as well. However I simply had to losen both linkage nuts and give a few twists of the linkage rod. This pivoted the heel portion to the desired location, then simply tighten the nuts again. Obviously the Yammies are configured differently. Hope all works out in the end. :bluethum:

#15 ·
I put a billet shifter on my bike and re-used the heel portion of the shifter.

Adjustment of both is fairly easy; Remove the entire shifter (the heel part comes off the back of the assembly) Move the heel piece down a couple teeth on the splineshaft and put it all back together.

I moved mine down about 2-3 teeth and that's perfect for me.(When I upshift the heel shifter stops about 1\4 inch from the floorboard.)

*If you're going to replace the stock shifter you'll need to press out & re-use the spline shaft for the heel shifter.

#43 ·

They must think all americans are your dimensions. ;)A stock strat doesn't fit me at all.With risers and a different seat I'm doin' good.It's a pretty nice ride. :cool:Tires are a problem though. :-( JJ
I just picked up my Roadliner today. I feel like I have to stretch for the bars and feel I'm sitting too high. What kind of risers did u use and did u have to change any cables? I'm also lookin for a seat that will lower me a bit more. Currently ride a Roadstar, 4" pullback risers and ultimate seat...perfect setup.

#22 ·
Air pressure, air pressure, air pressure. Is the most important thing to watch on your machine. Low pressure will cup and destroy your tires. Don't ask me how I know. Your bikes engine is moved forward so the weight is balanced on the tires. So low pressure in ether tire or both will throw the handling way off and your bike will shake and shimmy big time.
Willie

#24 ·
I sure would not want to put your bike into a turn at any high speed. A square top car tire will never have the cornering aspects or the grip of a bike tire. I think you have a bike looking for a wreck to happen. It must handle real squirrely in any type highway turns. Car tires are not made to roll up on there sides like a bike tire. I think your asking for trouble.

Willie

#25 ·
Huh!

I sure would not want to put your bike into a turn at any high speed. A square top car tire will never have the cornering aspects or the grip of a bike tire.

Actually it grips BETTER ! :cool:

I think you have a bike looking for a wreck to happen. It must handle real squirrely in any type highway turns. Car tires are not made to roll up on there sides like a bike tire. I think your asking for trouble.Willie
My riding buddies said that if anything I ride FASTER !
The rear bike tire on your bike doesn't roll up on the sides,the FRONT one does that. Lean your bike WAY over in your driveway and you'll see what I mean.
In a corner the car tire has MORE rubber on the road than your bike tire !
The car tire rides quieter,LOWERS braking distances,and is safer to plug when you get a flat ! :eek:oops:

It may not be for YOU willie but I like it ! 8)

JJ

#26 ·
I've never even considered running a car tire on a bike. I'll probably stick with bike tires, maybe another brand.

I already installed the Patrick Racing intake on mine, but went with the Cobra fuel processor instead of the PCIII. Mainly for the ease of installation & setup. (The cobra took 10 minutes to install and was ready to run.)

Didn't dyno it before or after, but it sure seems to have more grunt and more volume. I can't wait for the new pipes to get here so I can really make some noise!

#27 · (Edited)
Jammin'John I don't know what your drinking or smoking. On the straight you will have more traction. But on a road corner you not going to have jack when you lay it over. Cars corner flat. Bikes role up on the edge when they corner. As in both wheels lean. That is unless your on a trike or you have a hack. Even the fat boy tires have rolled up sides. John your looking for real trouble. You have a slick with tread. It's going to be real squirrely in the rain. You will be duck walking it in the turns.:D Good luck. That's why they call them car tires and bike tires. Bike tires are round. Car tires are flat. What were you thinking?
I never fix a flat on a road bike. I buy a new tire. My life is not going to depend on a patch or plug. 50 years of riding and going strong. Blowouts and flats kill riders.

Willie

#28 ·
Listen

Jammin'John I don't know what your drinking or smoking. On the straight you will have more traction. But on a road corner you not going to have jack when you lay it over.

NOT true.
There is more rubber ON THE ROAD in a curve than with the bike tire. :fight1:

Cars corner flat.

I'm NOT talking about cars.

Bikes role up on the edge when they corner. As in both wheels lean.

On short wheelbase crotch rockets that's true !

That is unless your on a trike or you have a hack. Even the fat boy tires have rolled up sides. John your looking for real trouble. You have a slick with tread. It's going to be real squirrely in the rain.

NO !
It's MUCH better in the rain than the bike tire. :fight2:

You will be duck walking it in the turns.:D Good luck. That's why they call them car tires and bike tires. Bike tires are round. Car tires are flat. What were you thinking?

Not my idea.
Hundreds of riders have been doing this for a long time !

I never fix a flat on a road bike. I buy a new tire.

Good for you.
If I'm stranded and nothings open then I fix it and ride home.

My life is not going to depend on a patch or plug. 50 years of riding and going strong. Blowouts and flats kill riders.

Look,willie.
All kidding aside,I don't want to argue about this. :fight1::lol4:

Just stop flaming me,OK ?
I was just answering demingrickjames question.

Ride safe and often my brother. ;)

Arguing is wasted energy.

JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.