Motorcycle Forum banner

Wheel bearing failure for the 2nd time!!

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  old codger 
#1 ·
You know... this is getting old..

When my Star Roadliner was brand new with zero miles on the clock, I thought I was in heaven... First brand new bike I have ever owned..

At 172 miles on the odometer, the front wheel bearing failed... Luckily it failed on a straight road and I was able to have it towed... After some serious pain and suffering with the dealer I was back on the road and I thought it was a "freak thing" and moved on with life...

Well, at around 17,300 it has happened again... This time it gave some strange noises and started tracking a little odd. After an inspection today, it has been determined that another set of bearings have failed....

Frustration is just one feeling that I am having to say the least...

This is obviously a safety issue and not a "the seat doesn't feel comfortable after 100 miles" issue...

I am truly starting to lose confidence in this bike but yet I have had some GREAT times in the past 17,300 miles...

Should I give up hope on this bike or should I start budgeting for replacing the bearings every other year? Grrr... :roll:

*sigh*

See less See more
#2 ·
Buell has similar issues.

The original equipment vendor had some poor bearings shipped out. Consequently, the replacement bearings that were stocked were of the original quality too. So any "fixes" resulted in a rapid deterioration of the bearing again.

The problem was remedied when a few owners insisted on different brands of bearings. To which Buell paid attention to, and made according changes. I've been through a set already (my bike was a holdover, from the original run), and no problems since.

Be patient with your dealer. It's an easy fix. That said, see if you can peek in the service manual and determine if there is a specific process required to tighten a wheel into it's mounts. Buell has a special procedure for the rear, that if not followed will also result in bearing failure.

#3 ·
Wow man, if your driving 17,000 every two years you are a serious rider!!! If you are tatolly satisfied with the rest of hte bike I would try and deal with dealership or find another mechanic you would be happy with and keep on riding... and by the way did you get your valves checked at 16000??? How was that? Expensive? Painless???

#4 ·
Believe me... I don't let the grass grow underneath it... *hehe :)

Totally satisfied with the bike... Due to time for service (having to leave the bike for over a week) and other non-related issues, I have since moved my service to a different dealer and have been extremely satisfied with the service at the new one....

Valve check? Yep... Not bad at all for the check... Valves were right where they needed to be and relatively inexpensive for the check... (I think around 1.5 hours?) - about $75.

#6 ·
That`s good going for a set of wheel bearings I usually change mine at about 10,000 miles to be on the safe side as it is better to change them than wait for them to fail.
But this is just my personal choice, Some people i know change them with every trye change.

#7 ·
The original owner of my current bike had the wheels powdercoated and when he put the front back on he did not check the torque and shortly thereafter a bearing failure. The stealership fixed the problem and hopefully the new one does not fail on me. I just ordered a new front tire so I will have them take a look at it when they put on the new tire.

#8 ·
When you have front bearing problems, would it feel hot after a ride?
I have a sound coming from the front of the bike that sounds like metal vibrating or scraping. I have checked nuts and bolts and felt the front bearing area and no heat. I still wonder if it could be the bearings though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#9 ·
Mine has a rather interesting noise coming from the front end, don't exactly know how to describe it though in words. My new tire will be here today so I will find out soon enough.

#11 ·
My bearings were fine, but the front axle needed a good cleaning and lube action, the noise I was having is now gone.

#13 · (Edited)
well be thankful it wasn't like my experience......Two friends and I took a round trip from Allentown, Pa area to Nashville,Tn......2,400 Miles......On the return 269 miles from home my left rear bearing went so bad that it totally fatigued the axle and it left loose doing 80 mph on a 70 mph highway...the bike dropped about a 1/2 inch on that side and the only thing that kept the wheel somewhat manageable was that the dive belt pulley was resting on the belt guard and previously during a stop I and the other two guys thought that it seemed like my gas mileage had dropped considerably and it felt like the rear brakes were dragging so we took the rear caliper off and spread out the pads......when i felt the axle break doing 80 mph I assumed it was something to do with the caliper so I only used the front breaks to stop which was a good thing because the rear wheel would of really twisted had i used the rear brakes and i probably would not be here today to talk about it... when the wheel wobbled it then cracked the swing arm as well so it was quite an expensive repair when all totaled up with the tow to a u-haul place , truck and trailer rental, all the axle parts and the swing arm.....but i am alive and was able to repair myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.