Motorcycle Forum banner

These Forums Active? Liner Air Filter Swap Question

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Creeker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all - I picked up the best bike I've ever ridden let alone owned just a couple days ago in my new (well 2007 but brand new) Yamaha Roadliner S. Wow is this bike a best! I used to be blinded by the Harley brand name and after to many days of my Hog being in the shop and now feeling this machine I have to say I don't think I'll ever go back. Hell I may never own another bike other than this Roadliner S.

But on to the real reason I'm here. I'm a real K&N fanboy. Have K&N drop in on my wives Honda Pilot and the air intake supercharger kit on my Toyota 4 Runner. Naturally I want to put one on my Roadliner but have no idea where the stock filter is? Can anyone tell me how to remove the stock filter? I've heard it's under the seat (doesn't appeart to be there am I missing it under the battery?) and also told it's under the gas tank which first has to be removed. That seems like a real pain in the neck just to change an air filter, no? And how about Yamaha - very unlike them in that they flat out tell you in the Liners' owners manaual to have the Yamaha dealership change your air filter for you and that is all they say/show you - in the MANUAL!? Come on Yamaha I expect better from you. :lol4:

Anyway if anyone can tell me just wth this air filter is would be much appreciated. Also is it hard to take gas tank and everything off if that is in fact the route I need to go? Am I wasting my time with a drop in filter replacement? Maybe I should just pull the trigger on the Patrick Hi Flow Kit? Any experience with one of those greatly appreciated to hear about as well.

All in all can't believe how much I love this bike. Even my Harley head buddy's are jealous (once they ride it at least). It's a head turner even fresh off the stock showroom floor. Excited to make it my own with a few custom touches but it hardly even needs any! Hope to learn from ya'll around here and give back once/if/when I can to.

See less See more
#4 ·
Your welcome, one more thing....I put in the K&N filter about 2 years ago, it's doing a nice job. But....my K&N had a little warpage when it was made. It was not flat on the sealing surface. I had to put a flexible foam seal under it to make sure it sealed good. Hopefully, yours will be flat. Ride safe.

#5 ·
OK good to know I've read some other posts around the web of the very same issue. This somewhat common reported issue with the drop in is leading me to wonder if I shouldn't put the $50 the drop in costs towards a Patrick Racing Big Air Kit and Dyno Power Commander? Gees I am so happy with this off the showroom floor bike and it has more than enough power and torque yet here I am, a man in all of his glory wanting to tweak and tinker and get even more out of an already beastly bike!

RoadKill did you feel like you gained any extra "oomph" with your drop in K&N? If so do you think it was real or possibly placebo? Thanks again for all of your feedback mate it's much appreciated.

#6 ·
Some that have gone with the BAK and PC3 complain of the extra noise from the BAK. It's all that extra air being pumped in.... some noise that irritates certain ears. My K&N lets the engine breathe slightly better I think but it is not real apparent. Some people modify the top of the airbox (cut 6 or so 1" holes) to let in more air. Some even remove the top of the airbox and keep the K&N in place with a couple screws. My airbox is stock so the noise is same as stock filter. Different strokes different folks.

#7 ·
Just wanted to report back that I pulled the trigger on the PR BAK. I installed it along with a Power Commander V (with Auto Tune) as well as a Roadhouse brand slip on exhaust. Holy cow has this bike been set free.

It's been about 2 weeks now and the PCV/Auto Tune has her dialed in good to the last drop. There is constant power and torque throughout the entire throttle range, better low end response, top end speed, and the sound is simply second to none. My Harley buddy's even compliment it on how well the Roady slippers look/sound. I would venture to guess that my bike is now one of the fastest, most powerful (non custom of course) brand name cruisers around my area (well next to you other beefed up liners of course). Most of my silly but so fun stop light races have proven as much at least. :mrgreen:

I did all of the installs on my own it took about 2 nights overall the longest project being getting the gas tank off (short cut version here just slid her back onto the frame with fuel lines still on no need to remove completely) to get the massively restricting stock air box out and the PR BAK in. The PCV had me confused on a couple of the wiring tasks but after a few breaks and some patience I finally figured out what went where.

All in all could not be happier with a bike I already could not have been happier with right out of the box.

#9 ·
K & N really worth it?

iTommyboy:

I have an 03 Tundra with a K&N and an 07 Tundra with a TRD filter. The TRD filter is built like the K&N but is better quality because it has more pleats and the pleats are deeper also.

The K & N filters (and comparable products) are all about lowering the resistance of incoming air to the engine by the use of a less restrictive filter. The lowered resistance is supposed to let more air in and theorically allow more power. They are not about better filtration! I know that it would seem they are because you oil them, but the media is just surgical gauze and too porous to capture fine grit. You can look at the media in the sunlight and see big holes compared to a paper filter.

I do know you get more of an intake noise and it's easy to assume more power is coming with that noise because it sounds cool. I installed these filters on my trucks for towing at high altitude and I can't really say if they do anything except make noise.

When I'm going to travel on dusty dirt roads I put the stock paper filter back in.

For my 08 Roadliner S - I am going to stick with the oiled paper stock filter because the engine already has adequate power and I am more concerned with filtration than any supposed bump in power.

I have used K&N in other trucks I have had and the grit that passed through them is quite apparent when you remove the filter and look + feel down the carb / intake manifold. I won't be buying any more of them for any of my vehicles.

Just my opinion, but I think the stock filter will insure better filtration and engine wear protection for your bike. In the long run, protection from grit will do more to maintain your power output by keeping your engine new. The benefit of a lowered Delta P across the filter at the expense of additional wear is a personal choice.

Lance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.