Motorcycle Forum banner

RL/STRAT EXUP valve debunked! Dyno Results!

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kjoy457 
#1 ·
This is for the power hungry - all speed-limit huggers should just click the back button.

Well, I said I would post this, and here are the results.

I have a 2008 Roadliner that I got new about 6 months ago. It was all stock, but I wanted to do a stage 1 to it. I asked around for opinions on slip-ons or full exhaust. Well, I got back several saying "Don't get the fulll system! You'll lose the EXUP valve and your midrange power will go down!"

I had also heard some in the know (guys who know how to tune Yamaha V-Twins) say that the EXUP valve in the Roadliners is bullsh*t, and it's just there for emissions regs and to pass EPA noise tests. They also said a V&H 2-into-1 full system is a great pipe for it. So, I said F it, I'll give that a shot.

I put the V&H 2 into 1 full sustem on, and also put on the PR BAK, along with a PC3. Afterwards, it felt much stronger, but popped occassionally. So I had a friend do a dyno tune on it at Chicago HD, and the results are below. Final numbers (on a HOT day!) were 96hp and 120 lb/tq at the wheel. Over 110 lb/tq from 2100-4500 rpm, and HP keeps building right up to 5000 rpm. The stock EXUP actually REDUCED torque through the midrange, which the mods filled in, and then some (about 15 lb/tq gain right through the midrange - NICE!).

But it's how it feels and runs now that really makes the difference. It is so much snappier, so much more responsive, and it really sounds great, too. It wasn't a weakling before, but now it just feels more powerful everywhere, and it feels like it's no longer gasping for air...like it's just running right. Seems to cruise easier at high speeds too. ?? Only loud when you really throttle it, but a great tone when just crusing. I couldn't be happier. Plus, this system weighs about 15 lbs less than the stock system. Gas mileage last tank was 39 mpg. Runs cooler, too, the tech making it run a bit richer at low speeds and at idle/low throttle openings. No more lean-running heat.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice improvement. I imagine Yamaha wish they could put stuff like that on from the factory.

OT: Why the SV and the FZ? Quite a bit of overlap there, no?

#5 ·
They would, too, but they can't - the Govt won't let them (emissions and sound regs).

The SV1000S is more of a full-on sportbike set-up for track-days, and the FZ-1 is like a big, soft, FAST, comfy, sport-tourer. Both are quite different, actually.

#3 ·
Thanks for posting the graft. I have wondered about the EXUP setup as well. I have the Speed Stars on mine and I really could not feel the difference between when I had the EXUP and when it was removed. The engine we have is so strong it is hard to feel any difference when just the exhaust system is replaced.
Jim

#6 ·
Well your dyno charts look good. I'm not here to bust your bubble. It's about what to be expected. My 06 Dynoed at 118 ft.lbs torque and 98 HP With stock exhaust and the stock EXUp Valve. I run the big air and the PCIII. Not much difference between the two. Mine also barks when you get on it. Probably not as much as yours and the fuel is around 40 MPH. But as you know it all depends on how you ride. Nice to have a comparison. The end results are the bike halls butt and runs like a raped ape through the gears. I don't think other bikes can be tuned as well as ours by using a blanket program. I think each bike needs a Dyno tune to reach the same results as ours. What I like the best. Is it will do the same with two riders. It's real hard to find a bike that will out perform ours. Have a good ride Willie.

#9 ·
I am considering this same set up on my 2009. Were they successful in eliminating the poping on deceleration? I rode a used bike before I bought mine new and it had Vance and Hines long shots. I didn't know if he had installed a power commander or not, but it backfired something awful every time you backed off the throttle. I want a better sound than the stock pipes offer but not if it comes with the backfiring, and poping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.