Motorcycle Forum banner

ca - ching ca - ching noise

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  The Big O 
#1 ·
G-day folks , 07 1900 Roadliner ...yep strange title but that's exactly what it is.
only does it when it's cold, been seviced twice since owning, done 52000k bought when it had done 40000k
noise starts about 5 mins after warming up , my first thoughts was a stone had got caught in between the brake disc
and pad.
However it did it in the shed while having an extended warm up and bike was not moving, it lasts about 5secs.
Just come back from central australian trip , did 5000k in 2 weeks bike ran beautifully.
Anyone got any clues , before i get a service tech to give me some pain ......

cheers Lyndall

PS, i'll put a pic of the girl when ,i work out how.

#4 ·
thanks Dyna118

Actually it's Bel-Ray 15w-40 recommended by yamaha , they initially ran 20w -40 but have changed.
i dont believe this is a synth oil , but i didnt see the can it came in.
service is top notch and bike always gets maintain by the same mechanic of 40yrs in industry
it's a weird noise . the bike runs beatifully .
and it never does it when it's cold.
can you elaborate a bit more....?

#5 ·
well it certainly happened yesterday, doing about 20kmh as i pulled up to an intersection , all of a sudden it sounded like someone just tipped the knife and fork draw out on the floor shocking noise.
made it back to house 20kmh away in second gear , wasn't game to try 3rd.no noise present.
got home drained oil , removed bell housing on clutch side found nothing
removed transfer case cover , found nothing
removed cover over front belt sprocket found pulley has been chewing the aluminium, but it doesn't look recent.
the nut is very tight and looks like it was rectified by former owner.
now ido not know where to look.
does anyone know what this could be ,clutch plates all seem fine
could i have a broken friction plate?
i'm really thinking the gearbox is F$#@ked.

#8 ·
Yes Dyna118, it does come and go.
the noise is from the clutch area not gearbox.
i pulled down as far as the circlip inside the clutch basket .which requires removing 14 odd plates.
there is a double row needle roller bearing in there which i wanted to get at.
the main nut was so tight i could not budge it, this would have allowed for the basket and outer holder to be removed .
i still think its this bearing but have done 700k with no sound at all.

spoke to mechanic who only works on cruisers we spent an hr going over all the drawings trying to determine what it could be.
no roadliners were imported to australia with defective 3rd gear , and if they did those who bought were sent a letter to have it rectified.
the gearbox in the bike is faultless.
all i can add is the motor was under backpressure when this occurred, and i was doing about 10 -15 kmh.

thanks for replying

#9 ·
well i'll be buggered..............if you start at the very beginning of this thread you'll
see i mentioned " like a stone wedged in the disc.
well just pulled up at work , pulled in clutch and we ground to a holt......!
in nuetral could not move it.when i got one of my mates to hop on ,low and behold the rear disc is literaly locked on......
when pushed along it screams then stops.......i never use the rear brake...
i'm at work now will pull out and keep ya posted.

#10 ·
problem has been solved
the inner needle race bearing on the pulley side has collasped
this has discintergrated and has bound up the next roller bearing
the shaft (axle) has got that hot is has actually bent with the belt tension..
on only the odd occassion has this scraping noise been audible above engine.
while working on bike, while on the bike stand last week i ran the bike through all gears and heard nothing.
unfortunately when the bike is ellevaited the belt goes slack and no tension is on the main drive pulley.
prior to all this i checked the wheel bearing before going on central australian trip.
make a note there are 2 bearings on the pulley side and your finger is not long enough to feel the needle roller bearing.
pity as i did not know it was there. had this have failed while away , we were a thousand kilometres from a reputable dealer
should i have needed repairs.
all bearings were well greased and belt was never over tensioned.
cheers to all who have replied

check yours ,it just might be ready to fail bike has done 60,000k

#14 ·
thanks Jim
Theres nothing more off putting when ya just cant find the problem, now i know there are 4 bearings being 2 ball and 2 needle rollers
i'm a lot wiser.the price for a needle roller bearing here is criminal . I manage to substiteud a different NTN bearing after making a bush to get bike home . that bearing was $30.00 but the OEM is $183 ..........and a 2 week wait form japan.
tomorrow is the toy run for under privilidged kids and i'll be going in the ute.
they expect 15,000 riders it's a great day we all take toys and hand them in , ends up being a container full.
every bike you can think will be there, might be something you guys could try...it catches on quick.
love this bike and have wanted a large cruiser for years, a heart attach sorts out your priorities in life.
if i can sort my iphone sorted out i'll put a pic here it has an awsome muffler i made.
cheers Lyndall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.