Motorcycle Forum banner

Help with my Roadliner....

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ImForgiven951 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Roadliner and it has just in the last few month's started acting up when I keep the throttle at a steady speed, She starts acting like she's losing power but if I throttle up or down just a bit it returns to the get up and go as usual. Now I have noticed that it does this when she starts warming up or when she's good and warm, I have not noticed it when she's cold.

I was told it could be my battery or my stator, Well the cold did in my almost 4 year old battery and I replaced it with a quality battery of same OEM specs. and she's still does it.

I don't want to have to spend $400 on a stator if I am way off base and that's not what it is.

Now I do have driving lights, speakers (Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome) on it.

Please help.

Thank you
Festus

#3 ·
I was told it could be my battery or my stator, Well the cold did in my almost 4 year old battery and I replaced it with a quality battery of same OEM specs. and she's still does it.
Meaningful help is hard without being there.

How old are the plugs?
How about the air filter?

You aren't burning octane that you don't need, are you ??
Did you charge your new battery thoroughly before use? That's important.

I CERTAINLY wouldn't be shot-gunning expensive parts at it without a professional diagnosis.
A shop visit might save you money in the long run.

How about mods.......pipes......air filter ???
Odd-ball performance problems that are hard to fix can sometimes be traced that.

And lastly, what's your charging voltage look like with all the lights on?
The symptoms you described don't suggest a charging problem though.

#4 ·
How old are the plugs? Almost new, I just replaced them less than 1000 miles and I use high performance plugs
How about the air filter? Replaced the Air Filter at the same time as the plugs (Went K&N)

You aren't burning octane that you don't need, are you ?? No I am using what Yamaha suggest (Super Unleaded)
Did you charge your new battery thoroughly before use? That's important. Yes, Let it charge for the specified time the Yousa recommended.

I CERTAINLY wouldn't be shot-gunning expensive parts at it without a professional diagnosis.
A shop visit might save you money in the long run.

How about mods.......pipes......air filter ??? Yes I have several mods, Pipes, Filter, Plugs etc... etc....

And lastly, what's your charging voltage look like with all the lights on? 14.1 I believe.

GOOD NEWS... Talked to a trustworthy mechanic at Yamaha and he told me right off the bat what it is... It's burning way to lean, When I replaced the air filter and allowed more air in and along with the aftermarket pipes it caused it to run extremely lean.

Good news is... Just need to remap it... Not so good news I had to order a Power Commander for it which was a decent chunk of change before they can remap it.

He said it will run like a scalded ape afterwards.

You guys don't know how much I appreciate all your help.

And here is a link to my bike... September 2011 Bike Of The Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

#6 ·
Replaced the Air Filter at the same time as the plugs (Went K&N)

No I am using what Yamaha suggest (Super Unleaded)

Good news is... Just need to remap it... Not so good news I had to order a Power Commander for it which was a decent chunk of change before they can remap it.
This is an old, familiar story.

Some things advertised as "better" really aren't......probably including those "high performance" plugs.

It would be a LOT easier and cheaper to put the original style air filter back on it; not to mention that it filters better.

"High performance" parts designed for racing often don't translate well to street use.

Good luck. Hope you don't have to tinker with the programmer too long to get it right.

P.S. Does your engine really require Premium (high octane) gas ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.