Motorcycle Forum banner

Bike turns over won't start

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
I stopped at a gas station to fill up and when I went to start my Roadliner it would just turn over. I released start button did a quick check hit the button it started for about 2 seconds and then quit. I trailered it to the cycle shop, I just talked to them they said it started now. Can the fuel pumps on these act like a car where if you hit the tank while turning over they will start. I also heard someone say disconnect battery and reconnect. Any help would be appreciated because the fuel pump is like $500. One other thing I called the service center and when I mentioned that the fuel pump was in a second tank under the seat he acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Am I wrong on fuel pump location?

#2 ·
Any help would be appreciated because the fuel pump is like $500.
Do you have a separate fuel filter......that is not a part of the pump assembly? If so, I'd change that first.

Then, I think you are gonna have to be ready to do some testing when it fails again......like carrying a spare spark plug to test for spark and some starting fluid or spray carb cleaner to see if it's lack of fuel that is the problem.

P.S. Is there any chance that you were completely out of gas when you shut it off to fill the tank ??

#4 ·
hi we definitely have the same problem with my 2006 roadliner also . Every time I stop for gas or whatever and start the the engine it will keep on cranking only. I have to wait for a couple of minutes, let say 30 minutes to crank it to start the engine again. Actually i installed a separate fuel filter. But before installing it the problem is already occurred. Is that right to removed the fuel filter that builted-in with the fuel pump, since i installed the separate fuel filter already.

Appreciate if someone could help this problem

#6 ·
Now the plot thickens. Since I got the bike back I've been just making short close to home trips with no issues. Last Friday I decided to go for the long ride to work, everything was going fine and then about 30 miles from home on the freeway at about 70mph the engine dies. I coast to the side of the rode and once I'm safely on the side of the road I hit the start button and it starts right up so I turn around and ride the 30 miles back home with out any problem. This problem is driving me crazy, what should I do? Try the dealer again or what?

#8 ·
Now the plot thickens.... After having the bike in for a check-up where they couldn't find anything wrong I decided to go for the long ride. About 30 miles from home on the freeway at about 70 mph the motor quits. I coast to the shoulder, shut get the stereo turned down, hi the start button bike starts right up. Drove back home with no problem. I just don't trust the bike anymore.

#9 ·
After having the bike in for a check-up where they couldn't find anything wrong
Things like this sometimes happen with cars too.
I once had a Honda that quit maybe twice a year on the highway......with no warning and after a few minutes, started right up again.
It did that for SIX YEARS before it finally died altogether. Fuel pump.

Almost anything can be intermittant.
Unless it finally totally fails, the ONLY way to have a chance at finding it is to leave it at the shop......for as long as it takes.......where a mechanic or shop foreman can ride it, every day, home and back, to lunch, etc.
If they won't agree to do that, you are pretty much screwed.
The most common causes are: side stand switch, ignition switch and fuel pump.......but yours might be something less common.
A thorough inspection for correded electrical connectors would be on order too.

Good luck. Things like that can be a real B I T C H.
Often the best thing that can happen is a total failure.