Motorcycle Forum banner

New Guy

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  anrfknm 
#1 ·
Hello all, new here so bear with me.

I'm thinking of buying a 2014 Yamaha Star Roadliner S. It's still in a crate at a dealer and I can get four-grand off the sticker price.

Any info on this ride would be appreciated. It looks like a really nice bike. My current ride for ten years is a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650SC, so it will be quite a step up for me.

#3 ·
Welcome to the conversation. That is a big step up and a whole new world you're stepping into. I went from a 750 Nighthawk to a Kawasaki 1500 classic and can tell you the bikes handle completely different. The weight distribution is different, the power curve is different the ride is different. After about a month you will be as comfortable on the new ride as you were with the old bike and the new Yamaha will be a lot easier on long rides.

#7 ·
I thought I would never own a bike bigger than 600 CCs; then I took a test ride on a Vulcan 900.
It is an AMAZING bike. You don't need an engine bigger than some cars to make a good road machine.
Having an under-square stroke, it rev's more like a sport bike than a big cruiser.

#8 ·
One word of caution when you test ride it, hang on (well that's 2 words) I went from a C50 (819cc) Suzuki to a 1854cc Roadliner and it was more than twice the torque and horsepower in the seat of the pants. Had it not been the shape of the seat I'm sure I would've slid back, it pulls like nothing you're used to with that fat rear tire. As heavy as it is I inadvertently got air under the front tire crossing a busy 2 lane highway, it is a torque monster.

#12 ·
Looking at your pictures I would say the pipes would hit the kerb first. That happen once when I had goldwing. Don't put that bike tire on the parking block. Your feet are reverse. Slightest incline can be most difficult.
I see bikes pulled all the way in a busy lot. I like the rear of bike to be in line with backs of cars with the theory that a hurried mom will see bike and not pull in then see bike.

tarheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.