Motorcycle Forum banner

windshield options

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 Roadliner Midnight. I'm 6'3" broad shouldered, 290 lbs.....sounds like a dating profile doesn't it....lol, I have a Memphis Fats Older style I think since I googled the Model Number on the shield and it came up not found. I haven't called the company yet, but thought I ask you guys on what/if any options are out there. When I'm sitting on the bike the top of the windshield comes up to just about neck high. Now I know that it is supposed to be about nose high, right? If I duck my head to where my nose is at the top of my windshield I get no buffeting. I looked at the website and I can not decipher the lengths. Is the length measured from the top of the light, or the whole shield? And besides an OEM shield or Memphis Shades are there any other shields that work with the bike? I'm thinking since I have the mounts already on the bike that I will go with Shades, And I can just get a new piece of glass and use the existing strips/moulding right? Thanks. I know I posted this earlier I've tried adjusting it, Its as far up and out as it will go.

#2 ·
I'm thinking since I have the mounts already on the bike that I will go with Shades, And I can just get a new piece of glass and use the existing strips/moulding right?
Maybe, maybe not.
If the mounts are more than 5 years old or so, they may have changed.

Yes there are several other options available.
Doing a Google search for "motorcycle windshield" should find most of them.......as well as parts houses like BikeBandit.

This is a tricky problem, however, as in my LONG experience most shields just aren't tall enough......and I'm only 5'5".
I ended up with a MS Batwing and the tallest shield for it. It works good for me and my bike but just barely.

Once you find something that you think will work you might have to call the company, armed with a tape measure to find out exactly how the shield will sit on your bike.
If you have any bar risers, that makes things even more difficult.

Good luck. I've probably spent enough over the past 40 years or so trying out various shields that I could have bought a new bike. :lol4:

#3 ·
thanks for the reply. If the Memphis fats shield I have on it now is the 21in one. I'm gonna have to go with the Hot Wing that attaches to it. Or bite the bullet and go with a Star Shield or Batwing with the tallest spoiler shield option. If the Batwing option is my only option at around 500 new, I'll have to look at Ebay. Then I might as well find a Goldwing.....lol.... Seriously though, Ive seen pics of Roadliners with Star shield on them and they definitely look taller than the MS shield I have on now. Will have to dive into research some more.

#4 ·
Will have to dive into research some more.
And do a bit more simple testing.
Often the offending air is coming in from the bottom and lower sides more than the top.

In your normal cruising position and at speed, take your left arm off the bars and bend it across your chest.
If that cuts down on the buffeting considerably, then you need something like a batwing.
Ducking down behind the shield can sometimes give misleading results.

#5 ·
well did the left arm thing, and it didn't cut it down that much. Going to go with the taller windshield hopefully going from 19" to 21" is worth the $80. If not, I'm going to have to deal with it, or spend another $80 and get the Hot Wing that goes on the top 9of the shield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.