What Exactly is a Timing Advance?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro

What Exactly is a Timing Advance?

One of the guys I was riding with on Sunday had a timing advance. He had it hooked up via a switch. I'm told that it advances the timing...and helps the bike rev up quicker.

Is it something for getting revs quicker or what? Each time he was explaining it to me..he also has a Gixxer 750 but an 05. I kept asking why. It advances faster...Why..the bike already revs up quick. Is it...quicker than it already does? Next explination was that when you really get on it...at lower revs...it's like it is at a higher rev limit..Why? For me I like the way it revs..and...if I wanna "Rev" take the thing over 8K...heck 10K you have more power than...In my humble opinion..than I would ever need.

When answering please keep this in mind. Will it do any damage to have. Is it necessary to add a switch to it? I'm really running out of "stuff" to be able to add to my Gixxer at this point. May I please have the forum's knowledge and opinions?
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Sounds like a whole lotta 'I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll make something up'.

Advancing the timing moves the spark ignition point relative to the crankshaft position. Manufacturers leave it a bit retarded for emissions reasons. By advancing the timing around 5 degrees you get quicker, more thorough combustion creating a sensation of quicker throttle response and a small amount more power. It has nothing to do with revs or rev limits. It's only harmful if it results in knocking, and slight advance won't usually do that.

I'd highly recommend you stop adding "stuff" to your bike and simply focus on adding "skills" to the rider. That's where motorcycling satisfaction comes from, not techno-bling. Cripes, you already have one of the fastest bikes on the planet!

Last edited by Clint; 06-12-2006 at 07:57 AM.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

To add To what RR said.. With the advance in timing alot of the time you have to run a higher octain of gas. If the timing is avanced to much you can get pre-detenation and acually mess up the motor. The Cylender is trying to fire while the cylender is still compressing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    Detonation. Preignition and detonation are two different things. And you're right - high octane fuel can help.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Gems for motorcyclists

Just trying to make up my own terms, j/k thanks for the correction.

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)

Gems for motorcyclists

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Suzuki has linked the timing retarder and the rev-limiter in some of the models. I installed a timing-retard eliminator on my bike, which also removes the (theoretical) top-end restrictor. Basically, in gears 1 to 4, the timing is retarded, and in 6th gear, the maximum RPMs is limited. The TRE "fools" the EFI so that it acts as if the bike is always in 5th gear - no timing retard, and no rev limiter.

For the GSX-R bikes, this means that they can exceed the "maximum" speed in Europe (250kmh / 155mph). For my bike, this is a moot point, since it is a naked bike, and top ends at 235kmh / 140mph.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

Alot of people were putting a 5 deg offset on the crank shaft to fool the ignition into fireing the plugs sooner. And since Supper Sport bikes Like the Gixxer, R6 whatever already run a very tight tollerance on timming a premium fuel will be needed to stop ping.

But why would you want it. The Gixxer is already tweeked from the factory, and if it was that simple they would do it already, just to stay even faster than the compition.

I wouldnt touch that on a bike that is already that high strung.

Rob

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    Same here. Durability is alread in question in those screaming machines.

Gems for motorcyclists

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    SV650S '05 (Blue) -SOLD-
    I think it just adds to the mod-list for coolness.
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron
    Suzuki has linked the timing retarder and the rev-limiter in some of the models. I installed a timing-retard eliminator on my bike, which also removes the (theoretical) top-end restrictor. Basically, in gears 1 to 4, the timing is retarded, and in 6th gear, the maximum RPMs is limited. The TRE "fools" the EFI so that it acts as if the bike is always in 5th gear - no timing retard, and no rev limiter.

For the GSX-R bikes, this means that they can exceed the "maximum" speed in Europe (250kmh / 155mph). For my bike, this is a moot point, since it is a naked bike, and top ends at 235kmh / 140mph.
    I echo the same....TRE, TRE, TRE!!!!!

I would've gotten one a while back but it will void my warranty. Don't wanna do that 'cause I've got 2yrs left on the warranty . Plus, I've read over and over again that it makes a noticeable change. I've really gotten use to gears 1 thru 4 right now...especially in the modest curves that I ride .
    Last edited by GIXXER-Mike; 06-30-2006 at 06:45 AM.

I've got one. It was less than $20 I think. It does change things a bit. Do I notice any improvement in the first four gears? Not really. Seems to actually smooth things out a bit. I stopped even turning it on last summer. I suppose that my skills have improved since I first installed it, so maybe I should give it another workout and see if I notice a difference now. I'll post an update.

Sponsored Links