Motorcycle Forum banner

sr200 cam chain

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, (sorry, not SR200, DR200) Need help again .....Cam chain is just too tight....I must be doing something wrong. I have the tensioner spring OUT and the tensioner retracted....I can turn the the magneto wheel (with a socket wrench), and while holding the cam chain with hand, everything seems to move nicely. I can only get the chain on by slightly putting chain on sprocket then again turning magneto with socket, its really difficult and once on it turns hard....I am thinking I may have tension guide or something incorrect??? I have counted the links and bounced identified markings with online cam chains, pretty sure I have the right chain....HELP...thanks

#2 ·
I answered your other post re this...you need to remove the cam shaft to get the chain on....you cannot do it very well the way you describe...the chain will be fairly tight but will stretch fairly quickly once run in. The cam shaft being tightened down to its bearing surfaces will take up any looseness in the chain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.