vs800 rat bike won't start
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    vs800

vs800 rat bike won't start

hello to all,
    I'm new to the forum and I'm having some starting issues with my 2004 vs800 intruder. so the other day I was cruising down the highway when out of nowhere the bike just died on me tank still had gas but my lights were gone except for when I switched it into park the rear light would come on but not the front I've since got it home and started to try and trace the issue I've cleaned the post and terminals on the battery and have it on a trickle charger now the rear light will come on and the brake light is working every once and a while but not bright but when I go to crank,nothing...there was a white and black wire not one of the 3 going to the head light stuffed in the headlight housing that if I touch to the frame I can get the headlight to come on (when the headlight isn't working, when the headlight is working it has no effect.) and every now and then it will crank with that wire touching the frame but it sounded like it was idling high when I did that and now when I do it I can get the light to come on but it won't crank I just get this clicking sound coming from this relay on the left side behind the fuel pump (not starter solenoid) the relay has a G, OY,YO,and red wire coming from it the fuses are fine and when I try to short the solenoid I get the same clicking from this relay and lights flickering some help would be much appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    vs800
    I've since hooked it up to a battery from my harley and it's running so I'm going to replace the battery and see what happens...

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Most ALL things electrical can be tested with a simple multi-meter that can be had for $15 or less.

Sometimes sudden electrical failure is the battery but more often it is just loose or corroded main battery cables.

Before you install the new battery it needs to be fully charged. After it's in, you need to check the charging voltage.

Note: It is NOT a good thing to do to ground wires of unknown function; sometimes that will blow things up.

Request: If you have need to post a long post again, please put some white space in it. That makes it much easier to read. Thanks.

Good luck with your new battery.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    vs800
    Quote Originally Posted by vs800ratbike View Post
    I've since hooked it up to a battery from my harley and it's running so I'm going to replace the battery and see what happens...
    ok after buying a new battery it worked for a while and right when I went to leave the garage same issue popped up so I stripped the tank and seat off to look through the wiring I found a really melted wire black and white in between the fuel pump and what looks like it's relay I tapped it up to see if it would crank and it did but wouldn't stay running does anyone know how many volts this wire should be getting and why it might be melting on me

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    The only way that wire is the overall cause of your problem is if it was pinched and (partially) shorted to the frame somewhere.
    Since it goes only to the fuel pump, about the only other cause would be a shorted fuel pump.

That wire should have ~12 volts when the pump is running......and probably should get a shot of 12 V every time the ignition is first turned ON.

On the off chance that you have TWO problems at the same time, you need to fully charge the new battery again and then check the charging voltage while the engine is running.
    Your charging system might have failed too.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sponsored Links