Thinking about replacing carb on TS185, but not sure where to get it from
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1975 Suzuki TS185

Thinking about replacing carb on TS185, but not sure where to get it from

Hey, so I have this TS185 that's running super weird and just recently started having trouble starting. Gas leaks out of the exhaust when I'm trying to kick start it which makes me think it's running super rich. So I looked around the bike and the carb actually looks like it's leaking gas and has a tiny chip (hole) in the side... so I started looking for replacements!

I found this one that looks awesome, a completely new carb that I could just toss on. It's for a 1972 though and I have a 1975... This all seems too good to be true.

So I'm pretty sure the engines didn't change between 1971-1976 or 79 or something, but how can I make sure that this would be the same carb that I need and actually fit on my bike? My service manual doesn't mention anything that would help with this. I'll also probably need new gaskets, but I have no idea where I can find the part number for these specific gaskets.

Is there a resource online that helps with finding out this kind of info?

Thanks!
    Last edited by diericx; 10-27-2018 at 09:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I think you will find the answer to this is the same as the one you got for the exhaust you saw on Fleabay. There should be a number on your carb somewhere usually itn is stamped on one side near the inlet...it should have the make and size in mm of the carb. You will then need to ask the seller what size the carb he has. You may find the later model has a slightly larger carb....to increase performance...I may be wrong though.

You can fix the hole in your old carb by using either some 'Knead it' alluminium or JB weld....never used JB weld so cant comment....however I have used the aluminium 'Knead it' on a chainsaw fuel tank and it hasnt leaked in over 20 years since doing it. I would see if you can source a used carb from a wreckers...that way you can take your old one in and compare it directly with what you are buying.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1975 Suzuki TS185
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    I think you will find the answer to this is the same as the one you got for the exhaust you saw on Fleabay. There should be a number on your carb somewhere usually itn is stamped on one side near the inlet...it should have the make and size in mm of the carb. You will then need to ask the seller what size the carb he has. You may find the later model has a slightly larger carb....to increase performance...I may be wrong though.

You can fix the hole in your old carb by using either some 'Knead it' alluminium or JB weld....never used JB weld so cant comment....however I have used the aluminium 'Knead it' on a chainsaw fuel tank and it hasnt leaked in over 20 years since doing it. I would see if you can source a used carb from a wreckers...that way you can take your old one in and compare it directly with what you are buying.

Good luck
    Okay, sorry for the redundancy. I was just wondering if maybe there was a better source for info like this. Thanks though! I'll take a look tomorrow

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    According to this listing, the carb should be the same from 1971 thru 1980. All gaskets should also be included with either carb you end up buying. You could also ask each seller if their carb is a direct bolt-on for your bike (should be, but sure doesn't hurt to ask) Long day here, time to cut some zzzzzz's.............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...c2ln:rk:1:pf:0
    Riding Ain't A Hobby, It's A Lifestyle

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    hmmm......if you check the listing for the carb you linked to and click on "See Compatible Vehicles", it says only compatible for the 1972 model. The other listing says compatible for 1971 - 1980. Not sure what that's about. Better safe than sorry, probably be best to ask each seller before buying........NOW I'm gonna crash.......LOL!

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1975 Suzuki TS185
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinical View Post
    According to this listing, the carb should be the same from 1971 thru 1980. All gaskets should also be included with either carb you end up buying. You could also ask each seller if their carb is a direct bolt-on for your bike (should be, but sure doesn't hurt to ask)
    Thanks for all that info! I didn't even know ebay had that little drop down with compatibilities, it wasn't showing by default.

I asked if the carb you linked to came with gaskets and they said no... this is probably obvious but a direct bolt on would mean no gaskets? Isn't a carb super sensitive to air though?

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    The inlet manifold should have a rubber 'o' ring set into a groove...if its missing then a new one will have to be sourced...a lot of car spares places carry many 'o' rings of varying sizes...but you may be able to source one from a bike shop too. If this carb is a NOS or a new aftermarket one then all the gaskets needed will be already fitted...I would think.

Be very wary of which model this carb will fit...often there are changes in carb sizes or at least jet sizes between the years. Also for some reason....probably planned redundancy...makers will change the bolt sizes/centres and or orientation between model years.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    Absolutely in agreement, Aussie Steve, any complete carb should include all gaskets without question.

Maybe the seller was thinking "paper" gaskets as a lot of the Japanese carbs use the O-ring type seals (sometimes called O-ring gaskets) But I just checked that seller's feedback and even tho' the feedback rating looks very respectable, if you click on the #'s next to the Negatives, you can read the negative feedback comments and I would steer clear of that seller. The comments are horror show.

This is a tough one. The aftermarket carbs all look like they're made in China and I wouldn't feel confident in the quality. Parts outlets sell everything but the carb body, carb top & float bowl.

Found this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Suzuki...yfSJ:rk:2:pf:0

Pricier but the seller has 100% feedback rating and eBay is very good at protecting the buyer these days so you could pretty much buy without worry if it didn't work out. Another option is that they sell pretty complete rebuild kits, including new slide, price of the rebuild kits are about the same as this carb. Pretty much depends which way you want to go with such limited options.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1975 Suzuki TS185
    @Aussie Steve I'm thinking I might try to just clean the carb instead of replacing it, but that's a good point about the 'o' rings! I'll make sure the carb kit I get has the right sized 'o' rings and everything.

@Sinical That one looks like it might be better, but it's way over my budget. I decided to try cleaning mine out and just getting new jets. Hopefully that's enough! I'll keep this in my watch list just in case it does need a replacement though. I appreciate the help!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    Your decision to clean the existing one makes sense. New O-rings/gaskets, new jets.......Respecting that you're working on a budget (same here) another possible wear item would be the carb/throttle slide. IF you think you need one, Bike Bandit doesn't sell 'em but www.rockymountainatvmc.com does Plus Rocky Mountain's prices beat Bike Bandit as well.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    Hope this works.........Typed in "TS185 carb cleaning" on YouTube and got a lotta good results:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+carb+cleaning

Sponsored Links