Gs650g
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Gs650g

Gs650g

Hey I'm new to the site, but I just bought a Suzuki GS650G I believe it's a 82. But it has been running decent in town only issue has been kind of a high idle. But it has left me stranded on the highway 2 times now. It starts to lose power and eventually stalls out. After pulling off the road it sits and cranks but won't start. Well today it did it to me in town after only driving maybe 10blocks.
    I didn't know where to start looking first,but I will be changing oil/filter and spark plugs on Monday then was going to throw some fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank.
    if anybody has any other tips or ideas they would care to share with me I would appreciate it
    Sidenote I am an auto technician so I'm going to be working on the bike myself just will be the first I'll be working on

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    If it has a fuel filter, change that.
    If it doesn't have one.......put an inline one on it when it's running good again.

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem.
    Could be a clogged fuel tank vent, creating a vacuum in the tank and choking off the flow.
    If it has a fuel pump, that could be the problem too.
    If it has a vacuum operated petcock, there could be a vacuum leak or failed diaphram causing the fuel to shut off. You can test that by running it on PRIme for a while.

Fuel system cleaner is a good idea.
    Berrymans B12 and Gumout are the best.
    SeaFoam is NOT.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

It is a vacuum operated petcock, after it acted up I tried switching the fuel switch to prime and reserve with no help, just crank no start
    I will definitely take your advice of adding a fuel filter and the cleaner brand. Thanks for that
    How do I check the vent for the fuel tank being clogged?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Simply pop the fuel cap open when it does it again. Checking the system will need a diagram of the fuel evap system. You may have to service the carbs but try the fuel system cleaner first....a blocked jet or float needle may the the culprit and will probably clear using the cleaner...like Ken... said a good quality one...left overnight is the best option.

Removing a plug will confiorm if it is fuel starvation since the plug will be dry. If its wet then the problem will more than likely be electrical.

good luck and post your results.
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 05-19-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Sponsored Links