Engine will not start - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    your talking the cdi module? why get a brand new one. can get working used ones for $200 https://www.ebay.com/p/Suzuki-VZ800-...d=382711647793 i suddgest getting AAA roadside plus. its $100 bucks a year and you can get 4 town up to 100 miles. if you can afford it that is. It has saved my bacon a few times.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    1992 Intruder 1400
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I have a 97 Suzuki Marauder vz800. I started the bike it ran for two seconds and immediately shut off after that the engine turns but it just will not start. I have replaced the ignition coils, plug wires, boots and plugs. Still the engine will not start any suggestions.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but tt appears you have unfortunately replaced a bunch of parts without doing much actual troubleshooting first. If it runs at all, the coils, plugs, wires and boots are obviously working; they either work or they don't. You have a fuel system issue. Either your pump is weak or intermittent, or the fuel shutoff relay is going. Even if the gas cap vent is plugged, it will run more than a few seconds. But leaving it off while doing other checks will take it out of the equation. If you don't have a wiring diagram, pick up a Clymer manual (about $30), a factory manual (about $90), or I can scan and email you at least the wiring diagram from one of my manuals. You'll need it to do some voltage checks on the pump, relay, and to run jumpers to check either/both.
    My email is [email protected]

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Timetraveler658 View Post
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but tt appears you have unfortunately replaced a bunch of parts without doing much actual troubleshooting first.

You have a fuel system issue.
    And yet YOU think you can diagnose the problem without any actual troubleshooting.

Electrical systems can work one minute and then fail the next.
    Further actual testing is needed.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    And yet YOU think you can diagnose the problem without any actual troubleshooting.

had this happen. coils worked when cold only. wire vibrates and looses connection.
    some of the most frustrating and intermittent problems have the stupidest causes. my dad rebuilt an old snowmobile and forgot a seal somewhere. he could pull it till he was blue in the face and not get more than one fire. even tried the age old trick of trying to get it running on ether. the seal was on the crank between the cylinders. it would never pull vacuum more than once. it tortured him for years. We all make silly mistakes. its part of learning. i just hope the mechanic will tell @BrianG what was the issue with it.

Seat Tester
    take the ingtion switch apart & check the contacts if black & dark, clean them & lub with silicon grease just a drop

My Bike(s)
    1992 Intruder 1400
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

I'm 61 years old. I've been wrenching for about 50 of that. I've worked on more than my share of cars, trucks, motorcycles and aircraft, and a host of CNC machinery, formally trained on most. When you gain my level of experience, give me a call.
    As a side note, I also had a very similar issue on MY Intruder. So I have experience at that as well....
    Last edited by Timetraveler658; 05-29-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Timetraveler658 View Post
    When you gain my level of experience, give me a call.
    I've got about 10 additional years on you, just for the record. No airplanes though.

And with all of that training and experience you should KNOW that you can't actually diagnose ANYTHING just from a text message.

In case anybody is interested the mechanic just called and it is the IC igniter.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    In case anybody is interested the mechanic just called and it is the IC igniter.
    Which is NOT a fuel system problem after all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links