Engine will not start
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine will not start

I have a 97 Suzuki Marauder vz800. I started the bike it ran for two seconds and immediately shut off after that the engine turns but it just will not start. I have replaced the ignition coils, plug wires, boots and plugs. Still the engine will not start any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Check for spark at the plugs...what condition are the plugs... if they are dry then the fuel supply must be suspect. Maybe check the side stand safety switch and clutch switch , although the motor shouldnt turn over if they are working properly. I would be pulling the plugs and shorting them to ground to check spark. Another possible problem may be blocked filters etc....esp if the bike has sat for some time. A motor will run as long as three things are present....spark, fuel, and air. It may not run well due to other things...such as low compression but as long as the three things are present it will run.

Maybe pop the fuel cap while trying to start it to check for fuel tank vacuum. You can pop the fuel line off the tank end to check fuel delivery...possible faults here may be the fuel pump...you should hear it prime when the ignitin is truned on.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

I know with cars you can hear the fuel pump run as soon as you turn on the key. Even though this is a carbureted bike would I still be able to feel the fuel pump run if I put my hand on it and turn the ignition on or even bump starter. Because I did try that and I felt and heard nothing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2002 SV-650N, 2007Yamaha 1100 custom
    carburators have a drain screw, usually there pretty tight. loosen it and see if fuel drains if it does you will know fuel is getting to the carb

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbehavin View Post
    carburators have a drain screw, usually there pretty tight. loosen it and see if fuel drains if it does you will know fuel is getting to the carb
    Also give it a little shot of starting fluid.....or propane.....in the intake.
    If that makes it pop and try to run a little bit, then you know you have some kind of fuel delivery problem.

I hope you didn't really replace all of that stuff without actually testing for spark.......did you ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    You may find the bike doesnt have a fuel pump since it is carbureted and simply relies on a gravity feed. If this is the case a fuel valve will be under the tank and is most often run by vacuum from the engine. A line from a nipple on the intake or one of the carbs to the rear of the valve is used and must be in working order for the valve to open and allow the fuel to flow.

The valve will also have a prime position and you can use this setting to check if the sytem is working or not. Do not leave it on prime as it may overcome the float mechanism and allow fuel to either overflow from the carbs or worst case contaminate your oil.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    my carbed bike has a fuel pump.... and yours does too. But i would check the plugs. as easy rider said you can see if its a fuel or spark related. has the bike been sitting? have you been riding it lots and this just happened out of the blue? A bit of backstory on it might help us diagnose your problem. does it sound normal when it spins over? (has compression) it could be a number of things. the fuel pump should prime, but they dont whurrr. they pulse. hard to explain the sound.. it could be the pump, a fuse, bad wire, bad switch, clogged fuel filter...

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
    my carbed bike has a fuel pump.... and yours does too...
    Who was that comment supposed to apply to ??
    Not ALL carb'ed bikes have fuel pumps.
    Go back 25 years and most of them did not.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Who was that comment supposed to apply to ??
    Not ALL carb'ed bikes have fuel pumps.
    Go back 25 years and most of them did not.
    the comment was for the op. and you are correct, not all of them did. But his bike does have a fuel pump. . Kawasaki part # 49040-1063 for the factory pump. Hope this helps brian.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Right so since it has a fuel pump it should make some sort of noise as it primes. If no noise is heard then the pump or a filter inside of it has got to be suspect...as mentioned a quick plug removal will tell if its spark or fuel related. Even a fuel pump will not pull against a vacuum so the tank vent may be an issue too...easy to check pop the fuel cap open to see if it will run.

I have taken both What spark plugs out and smelled them and they both smell like fuel so I have to assume that I'm getting fuel. I took one of the plugs out and put it in the boot and ground it to the engine and bumped the starter a few times and there was no spark from either plug. Both coils have two wires leading to them a black wire and a black wire with a stripe. I put a multimeter lead on the solid black wire and the other lead to the engine for ground. The Wire tested at 10.2 volts or I should say the black wire leading to either coil tested the same. So now my question is would my problem be the rectifier, would that affect this or is it the IC ignitor.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    ok. i would start by charging your battery. while its charging test your coil.

Seat Tester
    pull the spark plug & check for spark if no spark ck the interlock switches if all ok ck the pick up coil if ok than the ing switch is could be dirty last item is the ing module & if its bad use the Factory part NOT a after market one

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    If a plug is not wet then it is not getting fuel...just smeling like fuel would, imo, not be sufficient. Also since your spark plug fails to spark despite voltage being present at the coil wires would indicate the problem is with the ignitor. The ignitor replaces the points and breaks the current supply to the primary windings in the coil which is needed to initiate a high voltage in the secondary windings which then causes a spark to jump the gap in the plug....as far as I understand it. Some ignitors also control timing advance and retard.

Good luck

Having a friend tow the bike to a mechanic on Friday since a damn tow truck is $100 for five miles for a motorcycle. That IC ignitor is $700 so I just want to be sure before buying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links