2001 vz800 Batwing???
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2001 VZ800

2001 vz800 Batwing???

I Did a forum search before starting this thread, didn't find anything SPECIFICALLY on this model.

So i'll ask. Does anyone have a solution for getting a batwing fairing to work on the VZ800?

A part that fits another model\brand that works with some universal or specific model mounting hardware?

I love my bike and have done several things to it, including painting with 2K. I would REALLY like a batwing and have a sound system..plus i started driving highway more and would like a windshield. Not a fan of the smaller ones that just cover the headlight.

Batwings aren't cheap and i'm not willing to buy one and just TRY to make it work, just to not be able to, or spend more money on buying many different mounting kits. I could always make my own hardware, i did for my headlight and taillights, but still, that initial $200-300 investment is big and i'd rather make sure.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 vz800 Batwing???-painted-01.jpg   2001 vz800 Batwing???-painted-03.jpg   2001 vz800 Batwing???-painted-02.jpg   2001 vz800 Batwing???-painted-04.jpg  
    Last edited by badkitty; 05-30-2019 at 04:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Good luck with this "project".

I think you will find that your cost estimate for a fairing is WAY too low......especially if it comes already equipped with a radio and speakers.

I put a Memphis Shades universal fairing on my Vulcan 900 and was very pleased with it but it is not made for a radio.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2001 VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Good luck with this "project".

I think you will find that your cost estimate for a fairing is WAY too low......especially if it comes already equipped with a radio and speakers.

I put a Memphis Shades universal fairing on my Vulcan 900 and was very pleased with it but it is not made for a radio.
    My cost estimate is just the batwings that i've seen on ebay and one person mentioned in a forum. I know it's more for stereo and speakers and all that. I can get just the front part (no rear panel) for $100 that will work, but that's not what i want.
    "The Key to Immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - St. Augustine

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    My cost estimate is just the batwings that i've seen on ebay and one person mentioned in a forum. I know it's more for stereo and speakers and all that. I can get just the front part (no rear panel) for $100 that will work, but that's not what i want.
    the $100 memphis shades clone isnt bad. but it will need some mods to not fall apart later. (found that out the hard) way Are you looking for a harley style one (add gauges and radio), just the front section (memphis shades style) or what? Do you want a radio one, for a gps, or one that only has storage?

The one i got cost me about $300 total. And i went cheap. i will eventually fit a harley one on this winter when i repaint. Which will be about $500 or more.
    Sometimes one one isnt bike specific. Most are assembly/ modification required. Even the memphis shades windshield/faring quick lock kit i got had to be modified. Even though it said it was for my bike i had to buy more spacers and longer bolts so my fairing would fit.

Many things are universal so they dont have to make many different molds.. i be able to help you better knew what style you are after. mine also has low windshield base height while the twin piece (ones with inner and outer) are taller.. Most fairings mounting points are made wider than needed so they will fit many bikes. what is the with of your forks? From outer edge of tubes on the top. Mine is just shy of 11"

Sorry if this is hard to follow.

Sorry for the quality of the picture, was captured via potato vision. (flip phone) i can add better pictures if wanted. 2001 vz800 Batwing???-img_0067.jpg
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
    the $100 memphis shades clone isnt bad.
    Memphis Shades does NOT make a batwing fairing that costs $100.
    Even their all clear, full coverage windshield is more than that.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Memphis Shades does NOT make a batwing fairing that costs $100.
    Even their all clear, full coverage windshield is more than that.
    Yes you are correct. But, i never said it was made by memphis Shades. said it was Memphis shades style. it is a Chinese clone. The mount kit was name brand and i stated that. the windshield was also a clone. you are just all about being mean and stating the obvious. you could have asked if it was brand name, or if i got it second hand. I also got harley style one touch hardbags and mounting bars for $100 bucks. Also clones.
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
    you are just all about being mean and stating the obvious.
    Your post was misleading and the details were NOT obvious.
    A correction was needed. Thank you.

I will not be "mean" anymore if you are a bit more careful about what you say.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2001 VZ800
    I understood his post completely by the way...i was going to reply earlier but was at work, then forgot to after i got off.

What I'm looking for is a windshield and stereo/speakers. I started driving freeway more, 30+miles... and getting tired of all the wind.,,, No storage or gauges. I'm ok with clones and getting things to fit for what i need or have. I just wanted some more info on what parts others started with, so i didn't waste a lot of time and money.
    "The Key to Immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - St. Augustine

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    I understood his post completely by the way...i was going to reply earlier but was at work, then forgot to after i got off.

What I'm looking for is a windshield and stereo/speakers. I started driving freeway more, 30+miles... and getting tired of all the wind.,,, No storage or gauges. I'm ok with clones and getting things to fit for what i need or have. I just wanted some more info on what parts others started with, so i didn't waste a lot of time and money.
    I figured you did, i dont know his function. but ill see if i canfind some for you. Youll have to get or make a mount kit. ebay item JYAVP11E2XA002009, 123378591925, 292658317311. the last one comes with mounts and a windshield. Bit you will have to get marine speakers, radio, and a cd player cover. hope this helps.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2001 VZ800
    That helps greatly.. Thanks.

One more question, i saw This mentioned somewhere else and made me think... Will i need to relocate my speedometer? It seems like it protrudes fairly far into where this sits.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links