Not a typical VIN number?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question Not a typical VIN number?

Hey y'all. New motorcycle rider here, and just bought a 1980 Suzuki GS1000L, and I noticed something sort of annoying. The frame AND engine do not have a typical 17-digit VIN number. On the badge on the front of the frame, where the VIN should be (and the badge even says VIN on it before this comes up), it instead has the following. GS100G-702xxx The engine also has one of these numbers, though it's slightly different. GS100G-107xxx. What does this mean?? Why don't I have a typical 17-digit VIN? I've been scouring online for anything mentioning this, and there's nothing that mentions this. I'll also say that the GS100G-702xxx is not only on the badge, but also machine-etched onto the frame, just below the badge. I'm very confused what this is all about, and would love some help on this. Thank y'all!
    Last edited by CrisisSpectre; 06-02-2019 at 09:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    maybe its an early model thing? The one on the motor is a serial number of the motor.
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    What does it say on the title ??

Pretty sure that VIN numbers weren't "standardized" back then.......and that IS the VIN for that vintage of bike.

Why does that "annoy" you ?

I bet that a Suzuki dealer could put your mind at ease.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    the sticker on the frame will have the complete mod # the # on the engine is for parts ordering dont think about it

My Bike(s)
    2009 M50
    That's how my '74 Honda XL125 is, it's just 'XL125xxxxxx.' And that's what's on the title. I guess that's just how the Japanese did it back in olden times.

Sponsored Links