Help fixing a 99 Intruder 1500
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Help fixing a 99 Intruder 1500

Reddit sent me here, hopefully someon can help.

I just got my dad's old Suzuki intruder out of storage, and I'm trying to fix it. The transmission slips into a false neutral, and we think it's because the clutch is gunked up after years of not being used.

This is my first real mechanical work, so sorry if I have some obvious questions, but is there a way to totally drain the gas tank and the transmission without dismantling the bike entirely? If so, does anyone have a guide they can point me to for this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Yes.

Find where the gas line goes into the carbs.....assuming that it HAS carbs......disconnect it there and put the petcock on PRIme.
    If it has a fuel pump, disconnect the line where it goes into the pump.
    The carbs should have a drain screw on the bottom too.

The transmission "fluid" is the same oil that goes into the engine; they share a common oil supply.

The way a bike transmission is designed, a true false neutral is REALLY hard to get.
    I suggest that you leave that "problem" to last.....until after you get the engine running good.
    It might not be a problem at all.

P.S. You do know that N is between 1 and 2.....right ??

At some point, you will need some good fuel system cleaner. Berrymans B12 Chemtool is the best on the market.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zed View Post
    Reddit sent me here, hopefully someon can help.

I just got my dad's old Suzuki intruder out of storage, and I'm trying to fix it. The transmission slips into a false neutral, and we think it's because the clutch is gunked up after years of not being used.

This is my first real mechanical work, so sorry if I have some obvious questions, but is there a way to totally drain the gas tank and the transmission without dismantling the bike entirely? If so, does anyone have a guide they can point me to for this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Your clutch slipping: is it from the start or after you ride a few miles? Mine would slip really bad after 10 miles of driving and it ended up being a clogged return hole in the clutch master cylinder which was caused by rust in the slave cylinder. Should be two holes in the master cylinder the really small one is the return pressure.

Sponsored Links