Horrible fear on the freeway
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Horrible fear on the freeway

This is a long synopsis of riding from a new rider, so settle in with a drink or something...

just racked up 1500 real motorcycle miles on my bandit (by real I mean 50+ mph, I rode a scooter for a few years).

Im noticing that I have this GOD-AWFUL feeling when I gun the bike and get on the freeway. I have this fear, even though I got my tires checked (needed a new rear, which I purchased) that my front tire will blow out, or some other mishap and Ill wreck. Its getting better, the first time I got on the freeway going 65mph, my feet were wobbling so much with fear I could barely shift.

Now, I can cruise at a comfortable speed, but anything over 90 just scares the hell out of me, due to this irrational FEAR that my tire will blow out and Ill die any second.

One other thing that adds to my fear, is from around 3.5k to 4.2k the engine just rattles like mad. This does not help my comfort level. After 4.3k the bike smooths out, and at 4.8-5k it just cruises.

I think a brand new bike would quell these fears (thats a great excuse to buy a new bike actually...) but I just have this feeling like any second anything could go wrong and Ill just crash. Sometimes, Ill be having fun, then this thought will creep in..."Im on a rocket a foot above the ground, with no protection" and the fear comes right back.

Does this go away? The bike is technically fine, Im starting to think the engine is supposed to vibrate like that at speed (no weird noises to speak of), and there is no shortage of power getting on it. Cruising on the streets is a breeze, super smooth riding all around, just the freeway has this forboding feeling to it.Maybe I need to relax?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    01 Bandit 1200
    This is easy. Just don't go over 90. Its not terribly safe on public highways that fast anyway.

It'll eventually die down, but a healthy fear of the road and, to a lesser extent, the bike is good for you.
    I am lurking. I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Anville...

The most important piece of advice I could give you is this:

Remember to breathe. Concentrate on your breathing.

Once you get that niggling detail out of the way, concentrate on operating your bike in ranges that don't create those vibrations, or worse yet, them nasty debilitating thoughts. By operating the bike in ranges you are comfortable with, you can concentrate on the ride, and the good aspects of it. This in turn builds confidence, and you soon forget about those nasty things that are hindering you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Quote Originally Posted by Anville View Post
    I think a brand new bike would quell these fears
    No, no, no. Almost any bike has some vibration, and that's not your problem. Why would you go that fast anyway, if you're nervous about it? That type of riding requires quick thinking and quicker reflexes. You're putting your life in serious danger!

Get the bike tuned up. Mine buzzes slightly, but not enough to affect my riding. Adjust the valves and synchronize the carbs. Put lead shot in your handlebars. Get some better grips, maybe with gel. There's a lot you can to to smoothen it out if it's really that bad. I suspect your mind is exaggerating it a bit, though. Sounds like you have serious confidence issues. Maybe it's time to take a break from riding?

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

My Bike(s)
    01 Bandit 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by intimid8er View Post
    Anville...
    didn't i just say that
    I am lurking. I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Who said what to who?????

Thanks for the replys all.

I should take a break, I ride about an hour every day.

The streets and feeder roads I ride perfectly, almost too comfortably but always alert. I have no qualms staying below 90, I think right around 70 I just get nervous. At first, the feeder roads bothered me, but now 50 is just cruising speed to me. Ill chalk it up to experience.

I tried the breathing technique on my way home tonight, it really helps! Ill be taking the car for a few days....

kay

Take you time. The bike won't disappear.

And like Joe said, a healthy fear is good, but if you're stiff and nervous on a bike, that itself can hinder quick and smart maneuvers that you might be forced into making, IF something creeps up.

There's no need to rush into the faster speeds either!

Have fun with your rides cuz that's what's most important.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    Motorcycles are not for the faint of heart. Do what I do. Drink a couple of beers, make sure to crush the cans on your head and take off.

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
    Motorcycles are not for the faint of heart. Do what I do. Drink a couple of beers, make sure to crush the cans on your head and take off.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    It's a joke. Maybe in poor taste but only a joke. I also quit smoking wussy tobacco for high quality crack. Stick that in your piggy bank.

My Bike(s)
    '06 M50 Black
    Some good advice here, except for vinnie. It's gettin' cold so he might have frost bite in the brain and is jealous of the weather down there.

Keep riding safely and with time and miles on your bike, your confidence will grow.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Sorry, just being a little stupid today. Does it show? I did get frostbite on my butt 17 years ago, which I have been told is in close proximity to my brain. Of course always respect the power of any bike, wear your gear at all times and don't ride beyond your comfort zone. Never ride even under a little chemical influence. As far as the weather it rained most of the day but it's supposed to be 82F tomorrow. Taking a long ride to MPLS/St.Paul tomorrow and possible to WI. Ride safe and enjoy our short stay on this rock.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRed94 View Post
    No, no, no. Almost any bike has some vibration, and that's not your problem. Why would you go that fast anyway, if you're nervous about it? That type of riding requires quick thinking and quicker reflexes. You're putting your life in serious danger!

Get the bike tuned up. Mine buzzes slightly, but not enough to affect my riding. Adjust the valves and synchronize the carbs. Put lead shot in your handlebars. Get some better grips, maybe with gel. There's a lot you can to to smoothen it out if it's really that bad. I suspect your mind is exaggerating it a bit, though. Sounds like you have serious confidence issues. Maybe it's time to take a break from riding?

Bandits tend to buzz a bit, but I dont think I have ever heard a bandit rattle.

kay

Quote Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
    Sorry, just being a little stupid today. Does it show?
    Yeah, sure does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links