Whats the bike of choice here? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Whats the bike of choice here?

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Yeah, the quality sure has come up. Those first generation bikes were just terrible. The last year Polaris actually discussed repeat buyers was 2009, and they were still outside the top ten at that point. It is so, so much easier to keep an existing customer than to recruit a new one, so brand loyalty is something Victory really needs to develop to sustain their long term growth. Spending massive amounts of money on ads and commercials generates interest and gets people in the door, but it's those lifetime customers that drive your sales. Harley sells over 21 times as many bikes as Victory despite spending less money on advertising than the smaller brand, because 75% of Harleys are sold to an existing customer that just walks into the dealership and buys one, no ads needed, where as VCictory is starting from scratch with almost every sale and has to spend money to get people aware, interested, and then to visit the dealership.
    Growing a motorcycle brand is HARD lol! Hats off to Polaris for being willing to spend the money to grow Victory and build a motorcycle company the right way.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Growing a motorcycle brand is HARD lol! Hats off to Polaris for being willing to spend the money to grow Victory and build a motorcycle company the right way.
    Indeed,they have their work cut out for them though.
    Their success hasn't gone unnoticed at the big four from Japan,you see it in bikes like the Raider and Fury pretty squarley aimed at the same market share.
    They're caught between the Japanese bikes and the Harleys trying to compete on both fronts without getting squeezed out,not an easy game to be sure.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    As well as Harley sales go they would do even better if they didn't have a few sales people with an attitude. I went into the local dealership about 3 months ago planning to buy a Sportster, cash deal. The salesman treated me as rude as I have ever been treated. I just walked out, bought a low millage used bike and the dealership lost a sale.

I took spoucling for her first ride on it last weekend. When we got back from the short ride I asked what she thought. She commented it felt like riding the lawn mower, noisy and rough. My mower has a Vtwin also. No offence intended to the Harley guys. And I have learned to hate the jiffy (kick stand) stand.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Yeah, the side stand on a Sporty is not the best design in the world. But at least it locks in place. Rude sales people are not exclusive to Harley by any means- my local Suzuki/ Yamaha/ Kawasaki/ Can-Am dealer has the rudest, least knowledgeable people on staff I have ever met. The nearby Triumph/ Ridely/ Suzuki dealership closed down and their franchises pulled because they were thieves as well as being rude- the ex-owner is looking at jail time. The local Harley dealership is terrible but the next closest one is great, and the local Honda place is not bad. Kinda hit or miss.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Yeah, the side stand on a Sporty is not the best design in the world. But at least it locks in place. Rude sales people are not exclusive to Harley by any means- my local Suzuki/ Yamaha/ Kawasaki/ Can-Am dealer has the rudest, least knowledgeable people on staff I have ever met. The nearby Triumph/ Ridely/ Suzuki dealership closed down and their franchises pulled because they were thieves as well as being rude- the ex-owner is looking at jail time. The local Harley dealership is terrible but the next closest one is great, and the local Honda place is not bad. Kinda hit or miss.
    Motorcycle dealers are like car dealers, some good most not regardless of make.

Y2K
    In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by old codger View Post

I took spoucling for her first ride on it last weekend. When we got back from the short ride I asked what she thought. She commented it felt like riding the lawn mower, noisy and rough. My mower has a Vtwin also. No offence intended to the Harley guys.
    Well it is a Sportster, four cam beasty.
    If you want smooth and quiet try a counterbalanced Softail Deluxe, same brand but apples and oranges apart.

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
    Well it is a Sportster, four cam beasty.
    If you want smooth and quiet try a counterbalanced Softail Deluxe, same brand but apples and oranges apart.
    Actually the reason I kept my Honda as my other bike is so when I want smooth, quiet with about the same power and speed I will have it to ride. And spoucling likes to ride on the Honda.

I bought the sportster for two reasons, one is it is time I slowed down, got rid of a GSX Suzuki. The other is I wanted something just to tinker with, lots of opportunity for tinkering with the sportster. I don't see myself buying any other Harley. I don't expect to become a "Harley" guy but will probably keep the Sportster, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.
    Last edited by old codger; 06-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

My Bike(s)
    Honda Rebel
    Have a Honda Rebel but would love to upgrade for an Indian Roadmaster

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Yenn View Post
    Have a Honda Rebel but would love to upgrade for an Indian Roadmaster
    Oh well THAT isn't much of a change !!!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    Honda Shadow VLX600CD
    I'm only a thousand miles into motorcycling, but I went with Honda due to rider feedback and Honda reliability. I vve found other Japanese bikes were equally as reliable, but the respect at least one seasoned rider had for all honda motorcycles made the choice easy. Its not fuel injected, nor the quickest 600cc on the market, but it IS a smooth machine to ride. That much is obvious even to a newbie rider. I rode my wife's 250ccRebel, and ok, less power, smaller too, but what a clean precision feeling about riding it over a hundred miles the other day.

In the face of that, a lot of other brands by seasoned folks have their loyal followings.

Pete

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    I started motorbike riding at the age of 60, seven years and over 60,000 km (40,000 miles) later I'm on my fourth bike, a 2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50.

I did my Learners time on a Hyosung GV250 learner cruiser (25,000 km), moved up to a 2010 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (10,000 km), got a 2000 Honda ST1100 when I spent a couple of years in Queensland Australia (15,000 km) , came home to New Zealand and bought amy 2012 Suzuki8 Boulevard M50 and have done over 10,000 km on her.

Decisions on the bikes I bought were:

Cruiser - I'm challenged in my inside leg measurement and too old to be riding a sports bike with my chest glued to the fuel tank and my heels stuck up the crack of my bum. However, I'm not a real fan of the 'classic' cruiser look with big mudguards.
    Mid-sized - Roads here in NZ are great for riding, but I found that a mid-sized cruiser handles the bends better than a bigger bike and with the level of speed enforcement an 800 cc bike does all I want it to do. The ST1100 was great for Aussie where the bends are longer radius and the towns are further apart, but back in NZ I tend to ride a bit slower and not for as far.
    Belt or shaft drive - Fitted a Scott Oiler to the Hyosung GV250, but had my fill of chain drive, so my last 3 bikes have all been shafties.
    Instruments up on the handlebar - I hate having to look down to the tank top to read your speed, check your fuel, etc.
    Foot pegs - Just a personal thing, I love foot pegs, one of the reasons why I chose the M50 over the C50.

Choice between the mid-sized cruisers - I rode a few, and found the Honda Shadow 750 felt heavier and lower powered than the Suzuki M50. I tested the Hyosung ST-7, but it's engine is less than 700 cc and much higher revving than the M50. The choice from Yamaha was the XVS 650 or the XVS 1100, the 650 was too small and the 1100 felt heavier and a bit too large for me at the time. The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 was belt drive, shaft drive won out, and I wasn't so keen on the classic cruiser look with the larger mudguards. The HD Sportster only came with the peanut tank in the 883, the seat was higher (the iron and other low bikes hadn't come out here and only new bikes were available).
    Last edited by Boulevardier; 09-01-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    Well, you certainly put a lot of thought into it.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50
    Great excuse for riding a lot of bikes! The Kawasaki dealer let me ride the new (at that time) W800 and have it overnight, the Yamaha/Triumph dealer let me ride the XVS650 and XVS 1100 and the Triumph America, Bonneville and Street Triple (it didn't meet any of my criteria but don't look a gift horse in the mouth). Rode friends' Shadow 750 and Sportster. The Hyosung dealer let me have the ST-7 for a weekend.

So it was a great time when I got my full license and was looking for my first mid-size cruiser. Bikes were being given to me for a test ride from everywhere it seemed.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    Very cool. It's great when a plan comes together so nicely.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Harley Street Bob
    What's your opinion of the W800?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links