How do you transport your bikes?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where Am I ?

How do you transport your bikes?

I was just wondering the different ways you guys transport your bike? (if you need to get it somewhere without riding of course) Is pick-up truck most efficient? Or is a trailer easier? How do you guys do it? How often do you transport your bike?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Well, seeing as pick-up trucks aren't very popular where I live, most people use a bike trailer. When I moved back in 2012, I had to transport all of my vehicles at one time - my car, my bike and my horse trailer, so I put the bike in the horse trailer. This worked fairly well, except that the bike tipped over and I busted one of the bar-end mirrors and bent the mounting screw. No worries, though - I replaced the mirrors and the screw at the start of the 2013 season.

Today, my next door neighbor has a bike trailer, so transporting the bike is no longer an issue. But I prefer to ride it...

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Pizza is not safe around me. - Me

My Bike(s)
    1962 Honda 50, 1983 Honda 750
    I have moved my bike in the back of a pickup truck but that's a LONG way off the ground and makes unloading pretty difficult alone. I have a 21 foot flat-deck "car hauler" that is much closer to the ground and is wide enough to turn the bike around to ride on and ride off - much better but he flat deck trailer is HEAVY!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Not sure how I would survive without my pickup, they aren't the best for transporting a MC though. I just measured my tailgate distance to the ground and it is 36" with the tail gate down, that is a 2WD F150, 4x4 would be several inches higher. A trailer with an expanded metal floor in it would be a better option, mine has a 4' tail gate which lets down to form a ramp, the trailer is light weight but strong enough for any motorcycle. It has been over thirty years since I had a motorcycle on a trailer so I am not an expert.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

COLOR ME GONE! Another victim or ER's BS.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50
    I own a trailer that can hold up to 3 bikes, but for quick transports I'll load one in my truck bed.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Kawasaki Mean Streak
    A truck or trailer are basically your two options. Efficiency is a matter of ease. As mentioned, the disadvantage of a truck is height when loading. Positioning a truck on the lower part of the ground such as the end of the driveway or backed up near a ditch will allow the tailgate to get closer to ground level or anywhere a truck can be positioned on lower ground while bike on higher ground and thus, a ramp is less steep. Obviously, a trailer is easier for loading due to the low profile and can handle more than one bike.

As for towing, a truck is better for stopping due to just the bike weight. A vehicle pulling a trailer has the trailer weight along with the weight of the bike(s) behind it and must stop sooner than the norm. There's also the slim possibility of jackknifing. The difficulties parking a trailer play a role also whereas a truck can still park in normal spots.

It's all a matter of personal preference and/or finances and storage space (for a trailer). Whatever option is used, the tie down is the same, thus, that doesn't play a key role.
    Last edited by Meanie; 06-12-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki M50 Boulevard
    I just moved cross country; from Little Rock, AR to Irvine, CA. I transported my M50 in the back of my 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan. It was easier than it sounds. Search for a detailed post in the forums.

My Bike(s)
    Yamaha r6, Suzuki drz 400sm
    I'm from Germany and Pick-ups are rare. Most transport their bikes on a trailer.
    I dont transport my bike but i know someone that use a Dodge ram (hemi) when he goes on track with his yamaha yz 250.

have moved my bike in the back of a pickup truck but that's a LONG way off the ground and makes unloading pretty difficult alone. I have a 21 foot flat-deck "car hauler" that is much closer to the ground and is wide enough to turn the bike around to ride on and ride off - much better but he flat deck trailer is HEAVY!

Sponsored Links