Valve adjustments aren't so hard
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Valve adjustments aren't so hard

I finally broke down and did the valve adjustment on my Kat. I'd never done it before, but I followed the steps in the manual and it went fine. It took a long time today, but next time will be much faster.

Oh, I also learned that the bike runs like crap if you don't connect the vacuum line to the tank (oops)

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

congrats on your DIY.

Fixing stuff yourself is always best. The more you can do the more you are connected with the bike. The more you know how to do, the cheeper owning a bike is. Hmm... and next a full overhaul maybe? Much more and we will be taking our bikes to you. Realy though, you did good.

Yeah, I just did my first ever on a bike a couple of weeks ago. I had done them on cars before. I will say however on a bike there is alot mre to take off. Good time to change the plugs. I also took off my carbs a cleaned them as well. I will say it was a great feeling when it fired right up an ran better than when new. I had paid the dealer to adjust the valve at 600 miles. It was evident to me they were not done. Everything was factory sealed. Not a single nick in any of the bolts or nuts. And the valves were not correct. Just beware and make sure you get what you pay for. I didn't.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MR. Ice
    Yeah, I just did my first ever on a bike a couple of weeks ago. I had done them on cars before. I will say however on a bike there is alot mre to take off. Good time to change the plugs. I also took off my carbs a cleaned them as well. I will say it was a great feeling when it fired right up an ran better than when new. I had paid the dealer to adjust the valve at 600 miles. It was evident to me they were not done. Everything was factory sealed. Not a single nick in any of the bolts or nuts. And the valves were not correct. Just beware and make sure you get what you pay for. I didn't.
    Yeah, the biggest pain in the a$$ was getting the valve cover off. There was one bolt that was nearly inaccessible. Some people give up and take off the oil cooler, but I managed without doing that.

had to ask.....

hey pitbull,
    which manual did you go by? clymer or factory? or maybe even haynes?

I used the Clymer, but had to improvise a bit on removing the valve cover. It left out a few steps like removing the coils so I could get at some of the allen bolts on the valve cover but overall I was able to get the job done. Also make sure that you tighten the valve cover bolts properly; I didn't and now have some leaks. I just noticed it Sunday, and I won't be home to work on it until this weekend.

hey thats impressive man!....i was kinda "ify" in buying a clymer manual....

I have always got the factory manuals, seem to be good. I love doing my own work to the bike, only thing i hate doing out of everything is getting a tire of a rim, i would rather do anything then that

Sponsored Links