How difficult is a jet kit install?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    '08 V-Star 1100 Custom

How difficult is a jet kit install?

Hey everyone...I'm a new 1100 Custom owner. Got the bike brand new with 1 mile on it, and it has about 50 on it so far.

I already bought a jet kit and Cobra slip-on drag pipes for the bike, but I am going to wait until I get past at least the 600 mile break in period before installing either.

However I'm wondering how difficult it is to install the jet kit. I haven't done it before, although I did rebuild the carbs on my old bike.

Assuming the carbs are anything like my old bike (i.e. bolted together via a mounting bracket), will I be able to remove them, install the kit, and reinstall without taking them off their mounting bracket or having to re-sync or anything like that? The instructions with the kit (Dynojet) don't give me much of an idea, neither does my service manual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Jet kits are easy if you're the type to be patient and follow directions. Keep from bunging up diaphragms or float springs with ham-handedness and you'll be fine. Of course, I know nothing of your particular bike. I think a sync is a good idea regardless, but you can just ride it and make an assessment first.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 V Star 1100 Custom
    FWIW, I just ordered the Vance & Hines slip-ons for my 1100 last week and am waiting for them to arrive. I was debating whether to re-jet mine by myself or get someone to do it for me, so I asked the guys in the shop at my local dealer about it to get an idea of how much it would cost to have them do it. They told me with slip-ons, I shouldn't need to re-jet. They said I may need to make some minor adjustments to the carb, but that re-jetting shouldn't be necessary.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2005 V Star 1100 Custom
    Just got my slip-ons on Thursday and put them on today. I haven't pulled the plugs yet, but the bike runs and sounds great.

My Bike(s)
    V-Star 1100 Custom
    The carbs come out in one piece (bolted to bracket)

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Compared to other bikes I've worked on, the VStar is by far the easiest to rejet. You don't even need to take the carbs out of the bike. The float bowls are easily accessible from the side (with the tank off, of course), and you can unscrew the jets (carefully) right there. It's truly beautiful. Watch out for the needles dropping out of their little slots when you take the bowl covers off, though.

Sponsored Links