V-Star 650 Classic pipe removal
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2002 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

V-Star 650 Classic pipe removal

Well, I tried to remove my pipes tonight to replace with a shinny new set of OEMs. I got the rear pipe off the header no problem, and removed both the upper and lower mufflers no problem. But how in the world are we supposed to remove the front pipe from the cylinder head? I removed the nuts from the studs, but I could not wiggle the pipe enough to clear the studs. I removed the floorboard on the right side, and although it helped gain some wiggle room, still not enough to get the job done.

And another thing...What is the secret to tightening the two header pipes on the rear cylinder? It seems that I could tighten either the upper or lower bolt too far, then going to the opposite bolt it would result in the mounting flange being tweaked. Hard to explain. And how much torque should be put on these exhaust bolts?

I would have thought a couple minutes on the Google would find tons of posts about people dinging around with their pipes. I was amazed at the absence of this info.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    XVS650

XVS650 front exhaust pipe

I am having the exact same problem on my XVS650C-2004
    I cannot get the front exhaust pipe off, the fram prevents it from coming forward enough to release it from the head bolts.

My Bike(s)
    2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100
    I watched a video on youtube on changing the oil filter and the guy said that you need to remove the bolt for the brake fluid reservoir and moving the reservoir should give you the clearance. I am not sure on your other questions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2004 Honda Shadow1100 Sabre
    I am helping my son work on his 2002 Yamaha VStar 650 and we have run into the same problem trying to remove the front exhaust pipe. BTW, the rear brakes for this bike are not hydrolic, so there is no interference with the fluid reseviour.

Surely someone has figured out how to get the front exhaust flange off the studs in the head... right?

At this point the only option I can figure is to try our clutch work without removing the pipe or remove the studs from the head.

Please help.

Thanks,
    John.

My Bike(s)
    2004 Honda Shadow1100 Sabre
    Ok... not much activity here. I'll post what I learned.

To remove the front exhaust pipe the exhaust studs must be removed... it's not teribly difficult. Use plenty of penetrating oil.

I used the 2 nuts from both studs.Tightened them together on the left stud (the longer easier to reach one) then using a 12mm wrench on the innermost nut, back the stud out. After the first stud was removed, the pipe could be worked out without problems.

For my son's motorycle the right stud was a little more trouble to get out... loosened it a bit, put penetrating oil on it, tightened a little, then backed it out a little more. I took is nice and slow to avoid breaking the stud off in the head. It took a few minutes, but the studs came out without issue.

I found replacement studs in an exhaust stud kit at AutoZone. After test fitting the new studs, I placed the front pipe then installed the new studs and nuts.

I hope this helps others.

Ride Safely!
    John.

Sponsored Links