Motorcycle Forum banner

Clear Smoke at Front of Bike at End of Long Ride

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what could be up with clear smoke (or steam) coming out of the front of my V Star 650 at the end of the day (about 50 minute drive home). Doesn't happen on the 50 minute drive in the morning so I'm assuming heat has something to do with it.
The weird thing is the bike runs perfectly fine. The smoke or steam goes away after about 10 seconds of turning off the bike. I can see it in the headlights at night and when I turn off the bike to see where it's coming from it's already gone.

Any one have that sort of problem before?

Thanks
Bobby

#7 ·
Just a guess, no one can be sure without seeing the problem. I am guessing you would check for obvious oil leaks and such, expanding beyond oil leaks dragging disk brake pads could heat up the disk brake. Try to note any unusual smells, sometimes an unusual smell can lead you to the problem.

Good luck

#9 ·
Any guesses now? I will check for oil leaks... but what else? Thank you all.
Check your oil level, on the off chance that there is a bigger leak than you think.

Could be a sign of a loose connection at the header gasket to the pipes too.

Then......I think a shop visit would be in order......SOON.

P.S. It is also possible that the front of your engine picked up a gob of grease from the roadway.

#18 ·
I think it is time you stop posting forum messages and DO something about it.

If you don't have the expertise to figure it out, take it to a shop.

NOBODY here can help you much more without being able to see it.

I suggested a loose exhaust seal back in post #9.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.