First bike, needing opinions on the problem.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

HLR
    My Bike(s)
    2000 Yamaha V star 1100 custom

First bike, needing opinions on the problem.

Ok so I bought my first bike a couple of days ago. It needs some work naturally.

Its a 2000 vstar 1100 custom. I only gave $400 for the bike.The issue it has is that it will not go into any gear. The friend I bought it from said he thought it needed the shift forks replaced. I've called a few shops and they said it doesn't make any sense that all 3 of the shift forks went bad at the same time. And that it was highly unlikely that is the issue. They said my clutch needs adjusted. I've had 2 shops tell me the same thing. It starts fine and runs fine. It's just always in neutral. When I got home yesterday to try to adjust the clutches low and be hold the bike is in either First or second gear. Does this make sense to anyone? If so what are the possible issues.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Suggestions....yes.

Have a shop come and get it and actually diagnose the problem so that you will KNOW what is going on.

It is possible that the clutch has just "come apart" and that nothing is really broken.

It very often is a BIG mistake for a non-mechanic to buy a non-working bike......but given the price you might luck out and end up with a good bike for less than $1000 if you let a real mechanic fix it for you. The flip side of that is: If something inside the transmission really is broken, it might cost you another $2000 to get it fixed......and that will be near to more than the bike is worth.

P.S. That's a lot of bike for a rookie. Hope you are an average sized person or bigger. Take it easy while learning.
    Take a new rider course if you haven't already.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-14-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

HLR
    My Bike(s)
    Yea, I'm a decent sized guy I couldn't ride a smaller bike and not look like an elephant on a bicycle. Lol I think I asked around at enough shops to kind of know that it's not catastrophic to the tranny. If I'd have thought that I'd never had bought it. I did a lot of research before the purchase. The next thing I'm going to do is call the shop and have them come and pick it up. Thanks for the advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

HLR
    My Bike(s)
    Update: Just as I had hoped had happened it was a fix that even a first timer like myself could fix. It was the shift drum screw. It had backed out and broken off halfway inside the block. So for around $475 dollars I got a nice feature running and riding back to ride.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Harley Street Bob
    That's good news. So now you have a running bike, have you taken the motorcycle safety course?

HLR
    My Bike(s)
    I do have it scheduled. Just got done reading for the permit test. Working on that then off to the safety course.

Sponsored Links