2008 yamaha rear wheel grinding noise
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2008 yamaha Vstar 1300

Question 2008 yamaha rear wheel grinding noise

Ok so i got 2 questions.
    I have an 08 v-star 1300 and the rear wheel has a grinding noise to it that i can hardly hear while im riding it. I believe its the bearings but im no mechanic. How easy are the bearings to replace?
    i have called the motorcycle dealers and repair shops around me and either they dont have a metric mechanic (their words) or they'll need me to drop it off at their shop and leave it there for about a week untile they can get to it to diagnose the noise. I aint leaving my bike at a dealer for a week just to have them screw me.

Is there a website or a diagnosing program that knows my bike that can help me diagnose\repair things on my bike?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by soldierboy2316 View Post
    I aint leaving my bike at a dealer for a week just to have them screw me.

Is there a website or a diagnosing program that knows my bike that can help me diagnose\repair things on my bike?
    So.....you will be happier if you screw it up yourself ??

Questions like this make no sense to me.

If you don't know how to do something yourself, you FIND someone who does know how and you pay them for their services.
    In this case, that would be a bike shop.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    Is this a shaft drive bike....if so I would suggest the rear bevel gear/pinnion are about to fail. Also if the noise is so loud it wont be long till the failure happens. It may also be a the rear brake binding.

You can do a simple test by raising the rear wheel clear off the ground and rotating it binding brakes will be obvious as the wheel will not spin freely.

This also applies to test for bearing wear as you will hear the noise coming from the centre of the wheel, (where the bearings are housed). Another test for bearing wear is to grasp the wheel and try and rock it up and down or side to side...there shoud be no movement or knocking sounds.

Good luck if you are not confident working on this the shop is the safest option....not all of them are out to rip us off.
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 03-02-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Sponsored Links