03 v star 1100 classic charging issue. - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinical View Post
    If he won't, eBay has a 30-day Buyer Protection Plan and should definitely rule in your favor.
    I have no experience with Ebay on things like this but many places explicitly state "no warranty on electrical parts" and they stick to it.
    Too many people don't know what they are doing and burn things up.

Unfortunately, that overall policy allows people to sell known junk with no fear of repercussions sometimes too.

Good luck.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    You're right about most places that have a "no return" policy on electrical items. Thankfully, eBay steps up to protect the Buyer from unscrupulous Sellers that might try to pass off shoddy goods onto the customer.....30 Day Free returns and eBay will stand by it even if the Seller's auction listing says "no returns". On several occasions, have had to request refunds and if Buyer/Seller can't come to an agreement, eBay will step in. They know that without satisfied customers, eBay's profits would suffer and, so far, I haven't been denied a full refund. Good policy for both eBay and Buyer that's geared to keep the Seller honest.
    Riding Ain't A Hobby, It's A Lifestyle

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    yamaha 1100 v-star classic
    $415.00 for OEM EL-81410-01-00 stator. Not sure an 03 is worth sinking this kind of money into. May have to change my lifestyle at 70. Use to be hot babes, now a hot meal and a warm bed will d0.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    At 70 I traded my 2 wheels for 3.
    Not because I wanted to.......but because I felt that I NEEDED to.
    Looks like it was a wise move but I'm still not really happy about it.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    Have you considered the Electrosport replacement @$179 ?

https://www.electrosport.com/collect...100-high-power

Whenever I've owned a vehice that started nickel 'n diming me, have turned 'em loose and never looked back. Not sure that's the case with you and your Yamaha. Only you know when/if it's time for a change.

Easy Rider, I'm only 3 yrs. behind you and 031100. Knock on wood, so far so good on two wheels. If that changes, would consider a VW trike or more likely a rat rod of some sort. Have known a few other guys who've retired from riding altogether and that's always sad to see. To your credit, Easy Rider, you made a decision that you felt was right but you're also keeping yourself in the wind and that's commendable. Whether it's 2 or 3, it's in the blood and it's the same wind. You're staying true to your passion and I respect that.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2002 SV-650N, 2007Yamaha 1100 custom
    Quote Originally Posted by 031100 View Post
    I thank all of you for jumping in! Following the link from Nickbehavin, I used the ohm test on the stator side of the connection and got a 49.0 between wires. Link says I should see 36. to 44. reading. On another post, it said I should check each wire to a ground and shouldn't see a numerical value with any of them. I did, I got 1.1 to .05 doing this. I think the stator is toast. Test done with motor off, key off.
    did you get a reading from all three wires of 1.1 to.05 if so could all three parts of the stator have a short. if you got 49 from all three your missing something

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    At the start I was checking the stator the wrong way. After reading the manual and getting info from you guys, I was able to get on the right path. Resistance wire to wire ( all white wires ) I got 8ohms. When I check these same wires to ground, I got readings of 1.1, .08 and .05. Also two of the stator coils are burned black. I went to a Yamaha dealer to confirm and got a " Yeah " with a short laugh. I guess they were feeling charitable and instead of the $531.00 stator they normally sell, one of the guys my age pulled me off to the side and looked up what one of their other vendors had to offer and I ordered one for $178.00 new with a warranty. The reg/rec checked out good so I'm putting this all back together and see what happens. When I do I'll give you guys an update. Hope this helps others.

Seat Tester
    all i can say to that is a short cut is not worth it ,use OE parts

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Looking in search, one post claims I should be getting about 8ohm reading between white wires on the stator plug and at the 2 prong plug about 205ohms. With the 2 prong plug I'm getting 495ohms reading with this new stator. Is this going to fry other components? Would this qualify as oops wrong stator?

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    What 2-prong plug ?
    The actual stator has only 3 wire connections.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what the other connector is for.

Have you asked the person you bought it from ??

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    The stators I've looked at have 5 wire spool with two plug and play connections. One is the three white wire connector that I used to find out what wire to wire resistance is and wire to ground to see if the stator was grounding out. That's when I got the 1.1, .08 and .05 readings which told me the stator was shorting to ground. Also from that spool is a plug and play two prong connector that I'm trying get info on. The two wires go to the pick up coil. According to another search post, I'm supposed to be getting an OHM reading of 205+/- 20% between these two wires. I'm getting a 485ohm reading. Any ideas? I was told that this is the stator for this bike but with this much difference, I won't put it in the bike until I know. I just spoke with the Yamaha dealer and was informed that the ohm reading should be between 189-231. This stator is going back also.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by 031100 View Post
    The two wires go to the pick up coil. According to another search post, I'm supposed to be getting an OHM reading of 205+/- 20% between these two wires. I'm getting a 485ohm reading. Any ideas?
    I asked about that WAY back in this thread.
    That should be the "trigger" winding that supplies the timing signal for the electronic ignition.

If that is indeed what it is, then the whole stator assembly can only go into the case in one precise orientation.

And my guess is that the precise resistance of that winding isn't really important.
    But a higher reading might mean that they used thinner wire to skimp on costs.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    The stator can only be installed at one orientation, the assembly is mounted on a centering ring. Where the wire spool is routed from the assembly, there is a relief in the molding to allow this spool to come out from under the assembly and be routed to where they need to go. With three hex head screws to hold it down at this clocked position. With the screws in place, not tight, I believe there is a lash of 5-10 thousands. Precise would be depending on definition. Wire winding on the old stator is actually .007 in dia. smaller than the new one. I'am getting a resistance of 213ohms with the old stator. What you say is probably true, 485.ohm reading just sends up red flags for me.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    I put new stator in. Cold the battery reads 12.7 and at 1500rpm it reads 13.9, Once I get it on the street, I'll take a run into town, about 30 miles, and see if it does any better. Been raining off and on so I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for all your help guys. Hope you all have a fun Thanksgiving feast. Stay safe, and I hope to have better news the other side of the holiday.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2002 VS800
    I've got a feeling that you just might have nailed it down. *fingers crossed* Initial readings sound fine.

Ride Safe and have an excellent Thanksgiving!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links