Battery for c 50
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    suzuki c 50

Smile Battery for c 50

What is the battery life for c50. Mine is a 2005. I have always had on a battery tender over the winter. It still starts good,but i don't want to take a chance when i am miles away from home. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2007 C50T
    Just listen when your cranking up the bike. Usually you can hear when the battery starts to go. Longer crank to get started.
    "Go Steelers" 7 4 6

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw82 View Post
    Just listen when your cranking up the bike. Usually you can hear when the battery starts to go. Longer crank to get started.
    Batteries don't "usually" fail suddenly. Most of the time, there are clues......for anybody who isn't clueless.

Since it's been well cared for, my wild guess would be another couple of years.......unless you are in a REALLY hot summer environment.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

I have an '05 w/ an OEM battery. No tender during the winter months, BUT... I would start the bike every other day and let it run for about a 1/2 hour... yea it's a waste of gas but it always starts and runs great. Once I had turned the bike off by filpping the fuel pump off and left the key in the on position for about an hour and the battery died, jump started it, took it for a 10 mile run, and all is well. The bike usually starts on the second revolution when the starter is engaged

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Skully View Post
    I would start the bike every other day and let it run for about a 1/2 hour...
    EVERY OTHER DAY ???? FOR A HALF HOUR ???

This is a joke, right ??

OK, Rowdy, HERE'S were you talk about the evils of extended idling!
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-28-2008 at 08:30 PM.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    EVERY OTHER DAY ???? FOR A HALF HOUR ???

This is a joke, right ??

OK, Rowdy, HERE'S were you talk about the evils of extended idling!

Ahhhhh, yea,,,,,No Joke,,,, What am I damaging??? It wasn't a constant idle, I did babysit it and throttled up every now and then, and sometimes shut it off and restarted, It was too cold for the radiator fan to come on, in fact it never did... Whenever there wasn't any ice in the driveway, I would ride it up and down the driveway (bout a 1/2 mile up and back)

When the weather warmed up, I went over the bike w/ a fine tooth comb, changed the plugs, oil and diff lube and checked all the nuts and bolts, even took it to a mechanic to check the valve adjusment, (none needed),, he stated it was one of the better running C50's he has seen...

It doesn't smoke (anymore, was overfilled w/ oil when I bought it), idles fine and runs like a bat outta hell. The only major mod is a set of Cobra Drags...

Please enlighten me

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Skully View Post

Ahhhhh, yea,,,,,No Joke,,,, What am I damaging???
    First, it's just plain WAY overkill. What makes you think it is somehow NOT desirable to just let it sit without running for a few WEEKS.....or even months?

There is, in fact, nothing wrong with just letting it sit. Stabil in the gas, float charger on the battery, cloth cover and let it have a nice winter's sleep!

If you MUST run it periodically, once every 2 weeks is PLENTY and you only need to do it long enough to get the pipes and oil HOT. Ten minutes should be plenty.

No "damage" probably but little things happen......like moisture in the pipes and in the crankcase, possible fouled plugs, moisture gets into gas tank as fuel level goes down, etc.

Overall a total waste of time and gas.

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    Mine battery packed it in this year, partly neglect and a very poor wiring of an Alarm system.
    The shop had done just twist and tape connections, the one for the starter kill failed and would not allow the bike to start.
    All the connections have now been replaced by marine grade butt connectors.

Sponsored Links