VTX 1300 front end wobble problem
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000

VTX 1300 front end wobble problem

I'm looking at an '04 VTX 1300. While looking up info on the net about the 1300, I've come across several reports and complaints about a problem with the front end wobbling during deceleration and that the problem is there from the beginning, not one that develops as mileage accumulates. I've read that replacing the fork bearings fixed this. I've read that replacing the front tire fixed this. I've read that some required both fixes to get rid of the wobble. I've read many of these owners have complained to there dealer about this to no avail and the owners have had to replace their front bearings/tires at their own cost.

Any VTX 1300 owners out there that have any info to share about a problem with the front end wobbling on decel and how it was remedied?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard C50 2008 Nomad 1600
    Hey DJ, in case you haven't noticed Rob_63 mentions the problem here.

Are you considering a VTX1300?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Nomad, rider of the ancient east
    Nomad, rider that men know the least
    Nomad, where you come from no one knows
    Nomad, where you go to no one tells
    [by Iron Maiden]

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Thanks. Yes, I am. With further research, it seems fairly problematic with the bikes. Apparently there has been some failed class action suit regarding this problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Boulevard C50 2008 Nomad 1600
    I've sit on too many VTX1300s, my wife likes them also. Wish they were FI'ed. The only thing that bothers me is that the Honda dealers around here are unfriendly, arrogant, not knowledgeable about their product line, so I don't talk to them anymore.

My favorite is the retro, I bet you like the C class.

click here for a review.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I am. With further research, it seems fairly problematic with the bikes. Apparently there has been some failed class action suit regarding this problem.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Nomad, rider of the ancient east
    Nomad, rider that men know the least
    Nomad, where you come from no one knows
    Nomad, where you go to no one tells
    [by Iron Maiden]

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Elvis, thanks for the link. Yeah, I like the C.

My Bike(s)
    05 VTX1800R Spec 3
    This is a problem that is limited to the 1300 "C" model VTX, I traded my C in on 9-11 for an 1800R and while there the salesman claimed to have no knowledge of this ailment of the C bikes. (Honestly I didn't believe him) My 1800R couldn't be smoother.

There is a fix for it using tapered needle bearings, if you search VTXcafe.com or VTXOA.com forums you can find instructions, the bearings are only 35 -40 beans but if you do it yourself you will need access to a press and a few other specialty tools.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    C90T Suzuki
    Guys, I have the same problem with my C90T. I've talked to other C90 owners and they said, Suzuki said, live with it. When it's slowing to about 25 or 30 it starts wobbling, it never does it when the speed is increasing just when it's slowing. At eighty mph, it's very smooth. I'm not going to worry about it. Oh, one thing, it doesn't do it if my hands are on the handle bars, only when I hold the bars loosly. I really don't think it's a major problem. I hope I'm not wrong.

My Bike(s)
    2006 VTX 1300R
    Hi, I'm new to this forum but have had some experience with this issue, though I have not found the 'final' answer. All I can tell you is that it is not bike or brand specific. I had a 2002 VSTAR with the same issue. I have a 96 Royal Star that suffers just the same. I have an 06 VTX 1300R - same. I have seen posts on other forums regarding the same problem with other brands and models. YAMA MAMMA has gone so far as to tell riders to just keep their hands on the handlebars. I have changed tires, rebalanced wheels, tightened steering head bearings. Left with more questions than answers.
    Will
    Last edited by crawdaddy; 01-23-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    All I can tell you is that it is not bike or brand specific.
    That's a pretty broad statement. It might be a relatively common problem for bikes of a certain size and or style but I assure you that there are a LOT of bikes that DON'T do it at all.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2006 VTX 1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That's a pretty broad statement. It might be a relatively common problem for bikes of a certain size and or style but I assure you that there are a LOT of bikes that DON'T do it at all.
    You must have misread my post. I stated a fact. The problem is NOT limited to a specific model or brand. That is a fact. I never stated that there were lots of different style bikes with the issue. From what I have seen, the issue seems to be prevelant among cruiser types, but I would not assume it is limited to them since I've heard of the same issue showing itself on a small percentage of sportbikes.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    All I can tell you is that it is not bike or brand specific.
    The problem is NOT limited to a specific model or brand.
    But it IS limited to some sub-set of all bikes on the road; that is, it is limited to some models of some brands.

I think your original statement is open to easy mis-interpretation.

Thanks for the clarification.

My Bike(s)
    2006 VTX 1300R
    Picky, Picky,Picky...you like to parse words! I didn't know that you have ridden every bike in every 'subset' and can quantify your statement that it is limited to certain 'subsets'. Hmmm....I know that you haven't ridden my bikes. Sorry for the confusion, I have only been riding and wrenching for almost 40 years and one thing that I know...it's that I don't know it all. Since this forum is apparently just for know-it-alls, I'm off of it. Peace Out

Supporting Member

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Will, you aren't going to get far in cyberspace if you take your ball and leave every time someone argues with you. Give us another try.

ER, come on, man! Every time? Put away your microscope already. Step outside. Smell the flowers. Breathe.

'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Most "R" bikes will shake at times if they did not have a steering damper. Can a steering damper be put onto a cruiser that has problems with a head shake? Maybe, a nice chrome one. That way it would match.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    ER, come on, man!
    CRAP!

Feel really bad about that; I thought it was a pretty innocent comment.

So, let's see if I can do a little penance:

What if this "shake" that is noticed on some models ONLY under deceleration is not really head wobble (in the classic sense) at all but instead is just a vibration caused by compression braking in the V-twin engine......and thus, as some service departments have said, really isn't anything to worry about at all ????

Just a thought. Hope THAT doesn't offend anybody !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links