Motorcycle Forum banner

Curious about VN900 Custom

5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  lors 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a HD Sportster 1200 but somebody wants to buy it off me and I'm going to be left bikeless hahaha

It's not a sure thing yet but if it pushes thru, I'm likely going to get another bike and the Vulcan 900 caught my eye. I like the looks and riding position.

I don't mind the power downgrade since I don't like riding too fast anyway. I like cruising.

I would like to know your general take on this bike.

Is it good to maneuver in slow speed?
Enough power for highway cruising?
Comfy for 5 hour rides?
Corners?

My Sportster is a 1200 so power was more than sufficient. And cornering is great as well. Long distance riding is also ok because I have an aftermarket seat and progressive suspension all with a bit longer rear shock for added travel.

So I'm looking for a bike that gives me what the HD does out of the box.

I appreciate the input.

lors

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
So I'm looking for a bike that gives me what the HD does out of the box.
I LOVE mine. Best all around bike I've had in 40 some years.
The power likely will be down a bit from your 1200 but maybe not as much as you might think.

Bottom line is: You're gonna have to do a test ride 'cause everybody is different.
I put 2" bar risers and a Russell seat on mine......and a couple of other mods for short legs.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

The Vulcan seems to tick all the right boxes.

Prior to my HD my bike was a Yamaha Vstar 1100. Sweet bike as well but I had a problem with corner clearance. I kept dragging my pegs. It's very unpleasant when that happens.

Power was a bit down as well. That's why I was surprised with the HD. It was only 100cc more but it sure felt like my HD was in a totally different power category.

#8 ·
The Vulcan S has almost the same engine as what's in the ninja 650, I believe its tuned a bit differently.

Parallel twin, and it has plenty of power. The power DELIVERY would be different than your sportster, but probably just as quick of a bike in reality.

I'm certain you would be happy with the 900 just like Easy Rider....and probably more comfortable than on the Vulcan S. Solely due to suspension which you have had a taste of riding a sporty.

It's a pretty neat looking bike though. Wish I knew somebody that had one so I could check it out.

Apparently Kawasaki has made it so that the Vulcan S can be tailored to each rider. You can swap out seats, pegs(and positions), along with some other things if I remember correctly. Nice concept.

In theory, you could buy a Vulcan S. Leave the dealership already customized to your liking....

At a price.

Nothing is free in this world! And there you thought you could have your cake and eat it, too. Haha! Still a nice concept though.

You seem like you would like either bike. Just go sit on both and maybe get a test ride. That's the only real way of knowing what you'll want.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Since we don't know where you live, it would be difficult to determine what cost you may pay. In the northern area, it's now a buyer's market. In the southernmost areas, it's always riding season and the best deals will be on new old stock. There's plenty of Vulcans out there. You will find one, but before you buy, chime in here and let us know the details.

#19 ·
So far I'm digging the VN900. Not sure if I like custom or classic.

I don't know tho the guy interested in my bike hasn't gotten back to me yet. So I may stay with the Sportster for a while longer.

#20 ·
Turns out my Sportster was wrongly jetted and was set with the idle way way too low. No wonder it was riding so lumpy, stalling AND took forever to warm up! Lol

I always thought that's how Harleys are hahaha

I had a mechanic tune it up and set it right and it rides fantastic now. I doubt I'm going to sell it at this point.

#22 ·
Yeah it was a revelation!

It used to take me almost 5 minutes before I could get going. And I live in the freakin tropiks! And I used to have to clutch it when off-idle so it wouldn't stall. And it would ride so lumpy at 1st gear.

All because the original owner wanted that "chug-chug-kachug" sound at idle.

So not worth it since you're only at idle less than 10% of the time anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.