Question about getting a mt09
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question about getting a mt09

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but it's a couple of questions actually about getting this particular bike. I'm wondering if it's a little out of my league.

I've been riding for 7 years and have put around 90,000 miles on my motorcycle which is an NC 700x Honda that I bought in 2011 when it was new. I have traveled interstate, backroads, highway, and traveled across substantial parts of the country here in the South during that time.

I think normally with that kind of time in the saddle I wouldn't hesitate to get a slightly meatier machine, but the nc700 is notoriously underpowered and I'm wondering if I'm jumping too much from a bike with almost no power to one that is regarded for being fairly powerful.

My other question is unrelated to that but I'm just wondering if anybody might be able to weigh in. I have absolutely abysmal credit because of a ton of student loan debt and a lot of medical debt that I really am not in a position to address. I hate to admit it but if there is a zero my credit score is probably zero. I am going in there with a cosigner who has very good credit so I'm hoping that would be enough. Has anybody had any experience trying to purchase a motorcycle from a dealer with very poor credit but a cosigner with excellent credit? Just curious. Thanks for any info you guys can provide and I appreciate your taking time to read this. Nice to meet everyone here. 🙂

Jack in FL

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    What exactly is an MT09 ?

You aren't going to like my input.

1) One should NOT be looking to "upgrade" your toys when you can't afford it.

2) One should not be doing ANYTHING that includes a co-signer. Nothing, NADA, never.

Open a savings account.
    Start making a "motorcycle payment" into that account.
    After 2 years, you should have enough to make a down payment that won't require a co-signer.
    Or after 4 years, you should be able to pay cash.

IF......you can't manage to make the regular payments into your "motorcycle account", that just goes to prove that you actually had no business taking out a real loan.

THEN.....while having brand new things is nice, it often is not practical.
    After you have a little saved up, a later model used bike might make a lot more sense than something new.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Easy Rider,

Much appreciation for taking the time to respond. I should have mentioned that waiting a couple years isn't an option for me.

My current bike, the aforementioned NC700X, is closing in on 100k miles and will require some fairly expensive work to keep it safe and reliable. So I have three choices:
    1. spend around 2k to get the bike back to what I can only hope on a wing and a prayer will be enough to keep the NC700 safe and reliable for a while
    2. get a new one
    3. Don't do anything.

Since I don't have 2k, the first option is out. And since my motorcycle isn't a "toy" -- it's my daily driver -- option 3 is out. It's not my only vehicle, but my other is a work truck that I only use for my business and onto which I can't risk heaping more mileage. It's not pretty.

So, I have to get a new one however I can. I'm stuck with option number 2.

As for using a co-signer. My hands are tied. Is it a great choice? Definitely not. Is it my own fault that I'm left with only this one suboptimal recourse? Absolutely. But it's that or having no reliable primary vehicle.

Finally, I don't have any questions about whether I can make payments, though I can appreciate how opening a savings account and making myself a motorcycle payment for a few years is a good idea for someone trying to finance a new toy.

I have no doubt your advice came from a good place, though, so again thanks for taking the time to offer it. Four years ago, following it would have been the only smart thing to do. But at the moment I'm stuck playing cards I've got.

If anyone out there has anyone actually had experience getting (or being denied) an auto loan with poor credit and a co-signer, I'd love to hear about it.

And also obviously if anyone wants to weigh in on my first question about the suitability of the MT 09 given my riding history I'd love to hear your thoughts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Try looking into a used FZ-09. It's the same bike. And if you're worried about the power, ride it in Rain mode. Reduces the power output.

As for the loan: You're more likely to get an auto loan with a co-signer than you are with a motorcycle loan. It may be your daily transportation, I believe much of the rest of the US (banks included) consider it a recreational vehicle. And may look to financing it as such. Or maybe not. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha MT09
    I have the MT09...great bike and as JmalB says ride it in B mode. You can get pretty good used MT/FZ 09s for fairly good prices...early ones had very snatchy throttles....after 2015 they seemed to get better. Some come with ABS...my late 2015 has it. After 2015 they fitted slipper clutches and then post 2016 traction control. Some American models seemed to have clutch problems....although I have yet to hear of any over here in Australia.

The other model in the range is the Tracer an MT/FZ 09 with fairings and also the XSR900...same motor with a different frame etc....more of a Cafe racer.

As for loans etc I wont comment, you do as you wish.

Good luck
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 04-24-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    And also obviously if anyone wants to weigh in on my first question about the suitability of the MT 09 given my riding history I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    (After looking it up), I think it would be an appropriate choice for someone with your experience but maybe not the best for a "daily driver".
    Something in a cruiser style might be more practical.

Then....one more comment and then I'm done:
    You seem to be stuck in a "new" vehicle.
    That is a BAD choice for someone in your financial position.
    Actually it is a bad financial choice for almost anybody.
    It might take a bit of work to find but a low mileage recent model USED would be your best choice.......BY FAR.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    1999 VS800 Intruder
    I'm 68 yo and have been riding since I was 16 and for the life of me I never came across this "require some fairly expensive work to keep it safe and reliable" situation. It sounds to me like you just have this "I got to have a new bike" thing stuck in your head and nothing short of getting that new bike will fix it. New is fine until you ride it out the door and then it is used.

I presently have a 1999 Suzuki Intruder VS800 with over 145,000 miles on it with three trips to the east coast and back to Okla. That's right I ride a girly bike and you can't give me that MT09 for free and take my 800 from me. Presently it is sitting in the yard needing a little work, rear tire and brake, to make it safe and reliable as you call it. But since I am on SS and now get from them monthly what I used to make a week I can't afford to get it fixed. So where is all this BS going... you can borrow enough to get your present bike fixed by going in debt for a little bit of money and have the loan paid off in no time at all and help build up your credit or go a lot in debt and buy that new bike you have already made up your mind you want and spend a long time paying it off. Your choose no one can decide this for you.
    Edit:You say you can't afford to borrow the 2k to fix your present bike but can go in debt to buy a new bike? Heck I wish I could borrow enough to buy a new Suzuki Burgman 650.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I should have mentioned that waiting a couple years isn't an option for me.

My current bike, the aforementioned NC700X, is closing in on 100k miles and will require some fairly expensive work to keep it safe and reliable. So I have three choices:
    1. spend around 2k to get the bike back to what I can only hope on a wing and a prayer will be enough to keep the NC700 safe and reliable for a while
    2. get a new one
    3. Don't do anything.

Since I don't have 2k, the first option is out. And since my motorcycle isn't a "toy" -- it's my daily driver -- option 3 is out. It's not my only vehicle, but my other is a work truck that I only use for my business and onto which I can't risk heaping more mileage. It's not pretty.
    Last edited by Johninokla; 05-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Yea. I bought a new old stock last summer. 66 at the time
    . sold my softail and got a stratoliner at Sehorn Yamaha, Shawnee OK. Rode it home to Phila. Pa. Great trip, super ride. Fun.Started to ride this year and feels like part of me.Best of time this riding season to everyone, may me meet on the road someday.

Sponsored Links