No Spark, No Vroom! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    Zuma 125, CBR 600 and hopefully soon a dual sport.
    First off thanks for the great replies really good ideas. So DivineChaos I read your post and realized where you were going with that question so I went and checked the dash lights because I'm assuming what you are getting at is if the lights illuminate then that is one of the signs that the ECU is working. I'm not saying it is a full proof test but it's a clue at least. I turned the ignition to the on position and the check engine light came on briefly for a second or two and then it went away. I'm assuming that is normal but at least now I can ask the guys down at Zumaforums if there scooters do the same thing.

Aussie Steve If you are talking about the little resistor that is on the spark plug between the spring and the little brass nut then I do have one but I'm not sure it is any good. Also this scooter doesn't have gears well it has a stationary gear for the back tire but it uses a CVT to transmit the torque.

I dunno why my text is blue but who cares. So earlier today when checking the dash lights I decided to attach the head light back on and the fuel tank and the all of a sudden the scooter started sparking!! However the spark didn't look all that healthy but at least it was sparking. So I am sure glad to see that. Tomorrow if I have time I will do some more investigating. Thanks a bunch guys I needed a different angle to look at this issue.
    Last edited by Micscience; 05-20-2019 at 10:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Micscience View Post
    First off thanks for the great replies really good ideas. So DivineChaos I read your post and realized where you were going with that question so I went and checked the dash lights because I'm assuming what you are getting at is if the lights illuminate then that is one of the signs that the ECU is working. I'm not saying it is a full proof test but it's a clue at least. I turned the ignition to the on position and the check engine light came on briefly for a second or two and then it went away. I'm assuming that is normal but at least now I can ask the guys down at Zumaforums if there scooters do the same thing.

Aussie Steve If you are talking about the little resistor that is on the spark plug between the spring and the little brass nut then I do have one but I'm not sure it is any good. Also this scooter doesn't have gears well it has a stationary gear for the back tire but it uses a CVT to transmit the torque.

I dunno why my text is blue but who cares. So earlier today when checking the dash lights I decided to attach the head light back on and the fuel tank and the all of a sudden the scooter started sparking!! However the spark didn't look all that healthy but at least it was sparking. So I am sure glad to see that. Tomorrow if I have time I will do some more investigating. Thanks a bunch guys I needed a different angle to look at this issue.
    glad you knew where i was going. its the self test. glad to hear that there is spark. sounds like a loose connector or a bad wire somewhere. i suggest now that you have spark, that once its running (hopefully it will) to do the wiggle test. just like it sounds. start wiggling wires and connectors. I bet you gave a bad one somewhere. I just had to replace the connectors that attach to my coil.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold

I dunno why my text is blue but who cares. So earlier today when checking the dash lights decided to attach the head light back on and the fuel tank and the all of a sudden the scooter started sparking!! However the spark didn't look all that healthy but at least it was sparking. So I am sure glad to see that. Tomorrow if I have time I will do some more investigating. Thanks a bunch guys I needed a different angle to look at this issue.
    I would suggest it needs the headlight assembly along with the associated wiring harness so the ignition works.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Well tomorrow is here and now it no longer sparks. So I am going to start the wiggling process at each connector junction I'll keep you guys posted.

As I was wiggling the connectors I noticed the check engine light flashing. I get 3 slow flashes and 3 fast flashes. I believe the slow flashes represent 10 and the fast flashes represent 1. So code 33
    Last edited by Micscience; 05-21-2019 at 01:08 PM.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    oh the joys of tracking electrical gremlins. i have a truck that reminds me of that. fresh crate motor, rebuilt trans and transference. new computer. over 6k into it. but it has a wiring issue i cant figure out. its stuck in limp mode. ford and there 93 wiring. a manual will yell you the code. hope you find it.

My Bike(s)
    So the code 33 in the manual says Faulty Ignition= (Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil)

I think it may be the spark plug cap but I'm going to check both wires from the ignition coil all the way back to the fuse and the ECU.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    didnt you replace the coil? so much fun getting DOA parts. (dead on arrival)

My Bike(s)
    Yes I did with an OEM Yamaha coil. I don't believe it is the coil. When I test the coils they show that they are under spec both used and new. I noticed the day the scooter showed spark it was a hot day so I'm wondering if the temperature has something to do with it. I just bypassed the check engine shut off switch and still no spark.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    that is strange. did you hook up the coil properly? power and trigger correct sides? could try running a jumper from your battery to the coil. the coil is grounded well? you tested the trigger wire to the computer?

My Bike(s)
    I did switch the wires on the coil to make sure I didn't have them reversed and I still got no spark. I removed the paint from the frame where the coil bolts to just to make sure the coil is grounded. I did test the trigger wire which is orange for continuity. The wire that goes from the coil straight to the ECU and the multimeter beeped.

So if I were to jump the coil from the battery I'm assuming it would be the wire that doesn't go to the ECU. Also use the positive terminal I'm assuming. I'll give it a shot and let you know. I did order another coil just in case. If none of this works I will completely remove all wire covering and try to find whatever I am looking for.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    So if I were to jump the coil from the battery .............
    THAT is not a valid testing technique.
    Odds are high that you will burn out the coil.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    THAT is not a valid testing technique.
    Odds are high that you will burn out the coil.
    why would you burn the coil out? i thought the coil not get power as soon an the key is turned on? You can burn out points. but the coil? You know how a coil works right? they get constant power and ground and are triggered by the cdi box. i looked up to see if my working premise was right... And it was.. Here man, educate yourself. https://www.elprocus.com/capacitor-d...ystem-working/
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    I did switch the wires on the coil to make sure I didn't have them reversed and I still got no spark. I removed the paint from the frame where the coil bolts to just to make sure the coil is grounded. I did test the trigger wire which is orange for continuity. The wire that goes from the coil straight to the ECU and the multimeter beeped.

So if I were to jump the coil from the battery I'm assuming it would be the wire that doesn't go to the ECU. Also use the positive terminal I'm assuming. I'll give it a shot and let you know. I did order another coil just in case. If none of this works I will completely remove all wire covering and try to find whatever I am looking for.
    yes. but the coil should be marked for what is what. there is a positive and a trigger wire. all 2 wire coils ground through the mount bolts. but i would do your own research also before you trust some random person and risk burning something out. oh. test your crank position/ hall-affect sensor and the wire connecting it to the computer.
    Last edited by DivineChaos; 05-25-2019 at 05:17 AM.
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
    they get constant power and ground and are triggered by the cdi box.
    No they don't.

If the power and ground are "constant", what exactly do you think is the "trigger" ??

Maybe it's not me who doesn't understand.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    One wire on the coil has 12 volts and the other wire shows minimal voltage like 120 milivolts. The wire with lower voltage when I crank the engine the voltage increases to 8 volts but I do not see a back and fourth or should I say a on and off of voltage like a trigger while cranking. I'm starting to think it is the ECU but that would suck to buy a new one and still be no spark.

by the way the coil I just bought didn't do anything for the spark.

I put a link to the service manual if anyone wanted to look at the wiring.
    http://www.filedropper.com/zuma125service
    Last edited by Micscience; 05-25-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links