No Spark, No Vroom! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No they don't.

If the power and ground are "constant", what exactly do you think is the "trigger" ??

Maybe it's not me who doesn't understand.
    the trigger is basically a switch. did you read the site? it acts like the points or distributer. please know what your talking about before you make a bigger fool out of yourself. Do you know more about mechanics than me? yeah, probably. but i read up on this. coil has 2 sides, low and high voltage. the low voltage has to have constant voltage so it can charge. the high voltage side acts like a capacitor. charging a high voltage. the trigger connects the high side to the plug wire for an instant so it can dump its power to ground.
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Micscience View Post
    One wire on the coil has 12 volts and the other wire shows minimal voltage like 120 milivolts. The wire with lower voltage when I crank the engine the voltage increases to 8 volts but I do not see a back and fourth or should I say a on and off of voltage like a trigger while cranking. I'm starting to think it is the ECU but that would suck to buy a new one and still be no spark.

by the way the coil I just bought didn't do anything for the spark.

I put a link to the service manual if anyone wanted to look at the wiring. yeah it might be bad... this might helphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzrByJUoGY
    http://www.filedropper.com/zuma125service
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
    please know what your talking about before you make a bigger fool out of yourself. Do you know more about mechanics than me? yeah, probably.
    AND I (usually) know how to discuss something without throwing out insults.
    You might have read up on coils but you didn't understand what you read.

The basic operation of a coil is a transformer.
    The primary takes a pulse of 12 V and "transforms" it up to several thousand volts on the secondary.......which is connected to the plug all the time.

You said that the coil is connected to 12 V and ground all the time and that isn't true.
    It won't work that way......and manually putting raw 12 V on the primary of a coil for more than a few seconds very well could burn it out.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-25-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    Zuma 125, CBR 600 and hopefully soon a dual sport.
    How about you guys put your ideas on ignitions into fixing my scooter that would be energy well spent

My Bike(s)
    Well I think I have some good news. I can get the spark plug to spark when I wiggle a certain area of the wiring harness. It's the area in the back closer to the statr and the starter and the starter relay with gas tank. I get like 4 to 6 sparks then it goes away I think I have a short some where. Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow to open up some wiring and find that sucker.

My Bike(s)
    Well I get spark every time I crank the engine. The spark goes away sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I thought I had a loose connection because my wiring harness was a bit stretched. So after major wiggling and loosening of the wiring harness I was able to get some white spark for a few seconds but now it looks like the spark is more orange. I tried firing up the bike but I was unsuccessful. I sprayed starting fluid that didn't help. I wiggled the wires and that didn't help. Also I noticed when cranking the check engine light was flashing very fast it seemed like it was synchronized with the cranking. Anyways I made a video of the spark.

I have been dodging removing all the wire covering from the wires because its a lot of work but I don't see any other alternative. All the electrical connections look tight and strong. Wish me luck....

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold
    That spark is fine all you need now is to find out why it is intermittent. The check engine light needs to be investigated....perhpas it is a short that is in the ignition wiring thus keeping time with the flashing light.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    Hey guys I have taken a break. I some how got the check engine light to stop flashing and spark is working. Beats me how I did it but it no longer flashes and the spark remains. The scooter may have been in a limp mode according to the service manual if something doesn't work correctly the ECU will shut down some other system of the bike. It still doesn't start with spark. I just wanted to update my progress. I guess I'll check for compression and maybe the fuel injection system. I think plugging the harness incorrectly may have caused this never ending loop.

My Bike(s)
    Well I checked the compression on the bike and it was at 125lbs of PSI with out open throttle and no leakage which is good. I removed the fuel injector and activated it to see if it was spraying. I didn't have anything to compare it to but it was spraying and atomizing good from what I saw. I did buy a fuel pump though I never installed it. When I tested the fuel pump it pumped out loads of fuel. A full 20oz bottle was filled within 3 cranks of the engine.

I'm trying to think what other issue can effect an engine from not starting?
    Lack of air, but the throttle body has no air filter attached to it at the moment. IDK but this might as well be my last post. If I do ever get it running I'll be sure to share.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links