2017 XT 250 - not staring after I changed handlebars??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question 2017 XT 250 - not staring after I changed handlebars??

Hello all, I hope someone on the forum has some advice
    I bent the stock handlebars on my XT 250 and I replaced them with Protapers.
    I removed everything from the old bars, put it all back together with the new bars and when I went to start it, I got nothing. Turned the key and nothing lit up on the instrument display, no whirring sound of the ignition being turned on like it used to do.
    The clock display slowly fades away when I turn the key, then fades back in when I turn it back to off.
    It started and ran fine before I started the work. Needled to say, Im very confused and the weather is finally nice and I can't ride

The only difference is that the old bars were steel and the new ones are aluminum.
    Any ideas before I send into the shop?

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    double post
    Last edited by DivineChaos; 06-08-2019 at 01:29 AM.
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Check your killswitch. maybe you blew a fuse or your battery is dead. did you disconnect something and forget?
    We gain knowledge by watching, doing, listening, and teaching. Not by insulting. We all can say mean things nicely.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Sure sounds like the battery is DEAD.....maybe because of leaving something turned ON during the change over.

You need to charge and test the battery before you do anything else.

A voltmeter would make solving this problem a lot easier.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

I tested with voltmeter and had 6.5volts prior to charging, still only getting 6.5v after charging over night. I't a 12volt battery.
    Sounds like the battery is done for...

Battery is only two years old and never had an issue prior to this incident. I had the key out of the ignition during the changeout.
    It started and ran fine before I did any work on it, I had to move it to where I was working on it.

2 years life span sounds short.. is this typical? ( this is my first bike )

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Sure sounds like the battery is DEAD.....maybe because of leaving something turned ON during the change over.

You need to charge and test the battery before you do anything else.

A voltmeter would make solving this problem a lot easier.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmc1068 View Post
    Sometimes, yes.
    It depends on how the bike is used.......or not used.
    Just sitting without running for LONG periods is really hard on the battery unless it is charged every month or so.....or put on a smart tender type charger.

After you get a new battery, charge if fully BEFORE installing it.
    Then after the bike is running again, check the voltage while it is running......to see if the charging system is working or not.

My Bike(s)
    VS1400GLT
    Hi. I'd want to clean the battery connections. If corroded they can prevent charging, starting, & accurate meter readings. And they don't always look dirty either, but will when you start using steel wool or sand paper on them. I like using alcohol on them after the sanding too. Then dielectric grease to keep them clean. Btw all this was learned the hard way, so don't feel bad.
    Also, I liked the suggestion you got about checking fuses. They can also need cleaning sometimes too.
    Good luck & good riding.😎

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by free.rider View Post
    Then dielectric grease to keep them clean.
    Dielectric grease is an INSULATOR.
    It should NOT be put on the conducting surfaces of any connection.
    It is intended to be put on the OUTSIDE to keep contaminants out.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    99 xvs 1100 vstar custom
    Do you have a 6/12 volt charger? might be on the wrong setting. (ive done it) And depends on the battery. is it Agm or standard lead acid? I had a agm motobat go bad in 2 years. Ive also had 4wheeler batteries that ive had to replace every year. Switched to a different brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmc1068 View Post
    I tested with voltmeter and had 6.5volts prior to charging, still only getting 6.5v after charging over night. I't a 12volt battery.
    Sounds like the battery is done for...

Battery is only two years old and never had an issue prior to this incident. I had the key out of the ignition during the changeout.
    It started and ran fine before I did any work on it, I had to move it to where I was working on it.

Thx

Sponsored Links