Exhaust for my '07 Royal star tour deluxe
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exhaust for my '07 Royal star tour deluxe

Dear Forum, I am new to the forum and just bought a '07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. The bike is to quiet. I want to change the exhaust, but do not want to spend 400- 500 or more.
    I drilled the original ones, but it's not loud, now I understand that there are guy out there that installed HD slip ons. Can anyone tell me their experience with this, what type of HD pipes and if they fit.

Thank you very much for the help.

Terence

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Louder is not better.
    It is, in fact, illegal in the US.

My advice is to leave it alone.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
    Custom exhaust is not illegal in the US. Only in California. You would be better to go to Facebook and look for the Royal star groups. There are much better options for customization for your particular model than you can find on here. Most of the information here is geared toward crotch rockets

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesw62 View Post
    Custom exhaust is not illegal in the US. Only in California.
    Wrong Charles.
    There are Federal rules against tampering with exhausts that apply in all 50 states.
    In addition, most places also have laws against excessive noise......no matter what the source.

It is too bad that the rules aren't enforced more........for cars and "bad assed" pickups too.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Incorrect...those rules apply to tampering with exhaust systems as to make them out of compliance with Emissions regulations...ie:, removing O2 sensors, removing mufflers or catalytic converters and otherwise causing an exhaust leak. People run into issues when they do stupid stuff like remove baffles, drill baffles, etc. I ride a Road Star with aftermarket Cobra exhaust and have never had an issue...and I ride with members of our local police and state highway patrol, socially and professionally.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Incorrect...those rules apply to tampering with exhaust systems as to make them out of compliance with Emissions regulations...
    You are quite WRONG, Charles.

There are noise standards too (think noise pollution) AND the rules state that any parts changes to the exhaust system must be with "approved" parts or it must be submitted for certification testing.

Most of the after-market exhaust parts are NOT approved for on-road use.

Never mind that the rules are almost universally ignored......even by LEOs.....but the does not mean that the rules do not exist.

P.S. I just did a Google search for "motorcycle exhaust laws" and this is the first thing that comes up:

Illegal Motorcycle Exhaust Laws: Motorcycle Commentary. ... That bill requires that “all motorcycles manufactured after Jan. 1, 2013 must have a label affixed onto the motorcycle or exhaust emission system indicating that the motorcycle or exhaust emission system meets all federal noise emissions standards.”

There is a lot of other information too.
    If you care about giving out incorrect information, you should do a similar search and some brief reading.
    It will only take a few minutes.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 07-31-2019 at 10:47 AM.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold
    I once heard a comment that if a few disregard a law then they are wrong....if many disreagrd a law then it is the law that is wrong.

I believe a slightly louder exhaust is fine...many others here do too....however ER is correct it is illegal to modify your exhaust in excess of the stated noise level sticker in Australia and many other countries. This is why many vehicle mods carry a warning that they are not legal for road use.

Right or wrong almost all louder exhausts come under this description...most delete the cat which is definately illegal. As with most things it is the idiots who spoil it for all...I heard a Harley yesterday that was obnoxsiously load...I would expect plod to yellow sticker that fools bike
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    I once heard a comment that if a few disregard a law then they are wrong....if many disreagrd a law then it is the law that is wrong.
    I think by now everybody on here knows my position on this subject.
    Just one more comment:
    Just try and imagine what it would be like on the roads if EVERYBODY ignored the noise laws and took the mufflers off of EVERY car and truck on the road.
    If bikes can do it, why not everybody else ??

If you don't have a appreciation for what that would be like, just attend a local stock car race sometime.
    But don't go without earplugs.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    sold
    Luckilly or not my hearing isnt a good as it once was so ear plugs are probably moot...although I do use then when I rided these days which sadly is geeting less and less.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
    Quote Originally Posted by hopidushi View Post
    Dear Forum, I am new to the forum and just bought a '07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. The bike is too quiet. I want to change the exhaust, but do not want to spend 400- 500 or more. I drilled the original ones, but it's not loud, now I understand that there are guy out there that installed HD slip ons. Can anyone tell me their experience with this, what type of HD pipes and if they fit. Thank you very much for the help. Terence
    Hello Terrance.

Regarding legalities, yes Easy Rider is correct. The law is very specific about modifying exhausts to the point where they exceed the Federal noise standard. Some jurisdictions are more strict than others and it is possible to be cited or fail inspection for having a non-compliant exhaust system.

That said, your greater problem is correcting the fuel-air mixture when installing a less restrictive exhaust system. For carburetted bikes this requires rejetting, for fuel injected requires a software change. A less restrictive exhaust system causes the fuel-air mixture to go lean, requiring compensation to restore.

After an exhaust change, you may experience less power until the fuel system is modified to compensate. Running leaner can cause the engine to run hotter than usual, not a good thing.

Personally, I don't dink with my fuel systems because I find a quieter ride more relaxing and am satisfied with the 96 stock HP on my 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII (stock ran the quarter mile in 12.6 sec. according to one magazine), but to each his own.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Easy Rider: you are wrong again. Several states do NOT have statewide noise restrictions. Those states include, North Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Alaska, Georgia Iowa Kansas Kentucky. To the original poster, you can find an exhaust system that will satisfy your needs and still be compliant with federal emissions laws. Your bike most likely has O2 sensors. Your new exhaust must have the ports. Disregard the noise police and go to Dennis Kirk and order you a set of Freedom Performance
    Chrome Race Slip-On Mufflers w/Black Tip - MY00127... You may also need fuel manager system like the Cobra FI2000. Not much is
    made for that bike but these are nice.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    I can do a google search too and find specific statutes that do NOT have specific noise laws. Federal law usually trumps state law, but as in this case, the fed leaves it up to each state to manage its own noise abatement programs. Or, I can refer to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol guide. Either way, tampering with emission control devices, ie: catalytic converters, Mass airflow sensors, O2 sensors, etc are illegal and are not endorsed by this member. Then there is 42 U.S.C. §4901 which deals with Federal noise law. Nanny States like California, New York and other states where liberals have run amok, impose stricter noise standards. Typically anything above 84db is excessive when measured from 20-50 feet away. Your comment about the label having to be affixed to the bike is a good one but in actuality, removing the label will get you a bigger fine than a louder muffler. So, I did not give out "incorrect information". I gave factual information not based on hysterical reactions. The OP is in New Mexico so they stipulate "Every motor vehicle must be equipped with a muffler that prevents excessive or unusual noise". Florida is one of those nanny states that imposes an 82db limit.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Regardless of what others say, you can update your exhaust system. You're not in Florida nor are you in Australia so their rules DON'T apply to you. You can find an exhaust system that will satisfy your needs and still be compliant with federal emissions laws. Your bike most likely has O2 sensors. Your new exhaust must have the ports. Disregard the noise police and go to Dennis Kirk and order you a set of Freedom Performance
    Chrome Race Slip-On Mufflers w/Black Tip - MY00127... You may also need fuel manager system like the Cobra FI2000. Not much is
    made for that bike but these are nice.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Can-AM Spyder
    Regardless of what others say, you can update your exhaust system.
    Are you done with your rant now ??

Any changes made to an exhaust system that affects either the emissions or noise MUST be done with tested and approved parts......if it will be used on the highways.
    Federal EPA regulations, which carry the force of law.

Maybe you need to read ALL of what Google finds, instead of just the part you want to see.......and ignoring or twisting the parts that you don't like.

You have one more reply.
    Any after that will be deleted.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    I get it, you're one of those anti-noise people, but in reality you're attempting to impose your views on someone who doesn't know any better and discourage them from modifying THEIR bike in a legal way.
    Your bias shows that when you are on the losing end of a discussion you make an attempt to silence anyone who disagrees with you. I simply stated your word is not law. The actual law is in the state the OP lives in, not yours.
    Delete away Hitler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links