Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2005 Suzuki boulevard c50 and she is gorgeous but I’ve never owned a Suzuki before but the lady I bought it from said it had been sitting for about a year well to make a long story short I think it had some bad gas because when I first rode it at this lady’s house it was a little sluggish and wanting to die so I put some b12 in it and that seemed to fix it so I bought it and this is where the fun part happens I went 4 hours away to pick it up and rode it back and right at about hour 3 of riding it just starts acting real weird won’t get over 30mph on the interstate and with the throttle maxed out it wants to kind of like riding a horse it would go and then it would coast almost as if it wasn’t getting fuel. But it rode for 3 hours without a hitch so I don’t want to just throw a fuel pump on it just to keep throwing money at it lol anyways everything else runs great it was garage kept so there is no rust and it shifts like it’s brand new and it has 27k miles on it. I’m thinking it’s definitely a fuel issue especially after riding it three hours with no other issues. Any advice would be great I am in the okc area.

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Before you do anything drastic, make absolutely sure that it did not JUST RUN OUT OF GAS.
Three hours running at high speed is about the maximum range for many bikes.

Then, before a fuel pump, check to see if it has a fuel filter that can be changed.
The B12 might have loosened up enough "stuff" to clog the filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely check that as well but she definitely wasn’t getting 3 hours worth of fuel time though... I would have to refill the tank every 90 mins or right around every 100 miles so could that be another symptom of an issue? If it has a bad fuel pump it could be consuming more fuel than normal right?

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
If it has a bad fuel pump it could be consuming more fuel than normal right?
NO.

What speeds were you traveling ?
100 miles doesn't seem like a lot. You said "it rode for 3 hours without a hitch".

What is the tank capacity on that model ?
And how much are you putting in at ~100 miles ?
And what indication are you using to tell when fuel is needed ??

This might be entirely normal.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
This sounds like a blocked fuel pump filter. If the Boulevard is typical of Suzuki then the filter inside the pump will be of the non serviceable type. There is a workaround but I would be tempted to remove the pump and reverse flush it on the bench using fresh fuel. There should also be a low pressure side filter of the 't' bag type....again if this is a typical Suzuki fuel pump... and this is easily removed and cheap to replace. If its very dirty then it supports the blocked internal filter symtom. I would try some injector cleaner through the system before doing any of the aformentioned as it may just clean out any blockage that is there.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO.

What speeds were you traveling ?
100 miles doesn't seem like a lot. You said "it rode for 3 hours without a hitch".

What is the tank capacity on that model ?
And how much are you putting in at ~100 miles ?
And what indication are you using to tell when fuel is needed ??

This might be entirely normal.
Sorry for the confusion when I mean it rode for 3 hours without a hitch I meant it wasn’t rough riding or anything but I was refueling every 100 miles or so I would put in about 7-8 dollars approx 3-4 gallons and I would stop every time my gas light would come on on the display and I don’t think it has any injector issues because the idiot light isn’t illuminated for it even when I start it now I’ll let it run for about 10 mins and it will slowly start leaning out and stalling just at idle and when I try to put it in 1st and I try to ride it it will go a few feet and stall. Hope this lessens the confusion but I have already used 3 cans of b12 once when I first rode it when I bought it and then I put another can in at the second fill up and then 3rd can went in when it started riding rough and not going over 30mph hoping for a miracle lol but it didn’t work obviously but I’m about to take it for an estimate to the nearest dealer they want 120 bucks for that and that should get me a better idea but I have heard twice now that it sounds like the fuel pump or filter so I’m sure that’s probably what it is that and maybe a dirty tank... thanks again for all y’all’s help!

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
but I was refueling every 100 miles or so I would put in about 7-8 dollars approx 3-4 gallons

then I put another can in at the second fill up and then 3rd can went in when it started riding rough
First, 3.5 gallons for 100 miles is NOT an unusual amount of fuel consumption at 75-80 MPH.

And you didn't answer my question about what the total capacity of the tank IS.
For many bikes it is 6 gallons and if your low fuel light is coming on early you might be filling when it is only about half empty.

THEN.......you need to get in the habit or reading the DIRECTIONS on products that you use.
In the case of most fuel system cleaners, it is about one ounce per 3 gallons of fuel.
For most motorcycles, that means 2 ounces in a full tank.
A whole 12 ounce can of B12 is intended to treat about 36 gallons of fuel, not 3.
The second and third cans of B12 just made matters worse.
:oops:

Putting a whole can of additive into only 6 gallons of fuel might in itself make it run poorly.
I bet it does much better after you burn off all of that B12 and get some fresh gas in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, 3.5 gallons for 100 miles is NOT an unusual amount of fuel consumption at 75-80 MPH.

And you didn't answer my question about what the total capacity of the tank IS.
For many bikes it is 6 gallons and if your low fuel light is coming on early you might be filling when it is only about half empty.

THEN.......you need to get in the habit or reading the DIRECTIONS on products that you use.
In the case of most fuel system cleaners, it is about one ounce per 3 gallons of fuel.
For most motorcycles, that means 2 ounces in a full tank.
A whole 12 ounce can of B12 is intended to treat about 36 gallons of fuel, not 3.
The second and third cans of B12 just made matters worse.
:oops:

Putting a whole can of additive into only 6 gallons of fuel might in itself make it run poorly.
I bet it does much better after you burn off all of that B12 and get some fresh gas in it.
That makes sense and the tank is 4 gallons sorry for the belated response in that regard. Also I only poured the entire can in at the behest of a Suzuki certified mechanic and he said specifically to use the whole can..

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Also I only poured the entire can in at the behest of a Suzuki certified mechanic and he said specifically to use the whole can..
Have you actually seen his "certificate" ?
Regardless, that was BAD advice.
You should not trust anything he tells you.

Bikes don't run good with too much stabilizer in the gas either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts