Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Im new to this fourm hope you can help me out. Here's my problem...

2002 Suzuki Bandit with 3000km with regular maintenance, basically annualy.
Went to take it for a ride today and started it with the choke as usual, sounded different but stayed running. Back the choke off as it increased idle speed and when I gave it a little shot it stalled. So after a few minutes looking it over and trying different things I gave up. Took out my infrared heat meter and checked the pipes, cylinder 1 and 2 were around 180-200 numbers 3 & 4 are 80ish. Hmmm, I think thats where my problem is...

Here is what I have tried so far.
Replace the gas with new gas.
Checked and cleaned the fuel filter.
Checked and cleaned the air filter.
Replaced the spark plugs with new ones and checked for spark and there is lots. While checking for spark sound like there was compression still.
Checked the exhaust pipe for any rodents or nests, at the collecter.
Checked the carb bowls for fuel and there is fuel coming from out from them.
Took it out for a spin and anything below 4000rpm was really really crappy running, after 4000rpm seams to pick up.

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I was going to suggest it's a spark issue, but it sounds like you've eliminated that. Hmmm...

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Update, I pulled the carbs and checked them over. Everything seems to look ok, but Im no carb guru. I blew through all the openings and went over the operation in my Suzuki book and all 4 seem to act the same way. I almost sure that I am not getting any fuel to cylinder 3 and 4, since the new plugs in 1 and 2 are a bit tarnished and 3 and 4 are still clean. While the carbs are off I turned over the bike and checked for suction at the intake by placing my hand over the intake and all 4 cylinders seem to suck the same.

Still looking for some insight.

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
If you're not getting fuel the bowls would be dry. Run it, then open the bows on 3 and 4. Also check for tubing breaks, both fuel and vacuum.

There are others who can offer more help here, but you might have to wait until they get to work Monday morning. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Another update

Well, I slept on it last night and I'm thinking it has to be the carbs....
Since my problem is idle and just off idle (up to 3000-4000rpm is when it starts to work a lot beter) I'm thinking it must be the slow system of the carb, meaning the the small holes and jet underneath the throttle plate. Any thoughts? I noticed the fuel filter on my bike is a small mesh type not a paper filter Im wondering if maybe some small debris is piled up in them and preventing it from operating normal at lower speeds.

Does this sound correct????

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Two pilot jets simultaneously getting clogged? Long shot, but maybe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I pour fuel down the small opening in the bowl that corresponds to the pilot jet and the other small openings should flow through under gravity very slowly? I would think it should, but its not.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, heres a new update. Shes fixed! It must have been debris in the pilot jet, runs good now!!!!!!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Sweet!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue i think mine could be a coil though because the coil on the left runs both to both 1 and 4 im thinking possibly weak spark because my cabbies have just been rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
Most I-4 engine designs fires the plugs in pairs in series.
Out the coil to one plug, through the block (seriously) to the other plug of the pair and then back to the coil.

SO.....an open anywhere in that loop will cause TWO plugs to not fire.

BUT.....you should not assume anything and run off on a wild guess.
Some simple tests should indicate whether you have a spark or fuel problem.

Note: It is usually better to start your own thread with your specific situation instead of jumping on the end of another thread that id 15 years old. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts