Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Yamaha 650 V-Star Classic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm New To This So I'm Not Sure What To Expect..
I Have A 2002 V-star Classic 650 And all Of A Sudden when I'm Stopped At An Intersection Or Even A Stop Sign I Can't Get My Bike To Move, I Give It Throttle And Slowly Release The Clutch Until The Clutch Is Fully Out And Still My Bike Won't Budge Even Though I'm Still Giving It Throttle, Then It Starts Shaking And Jumping Without Moving Forward (It's Kinda Scary).. Any Ideas What This Could Be? I Tightened My Clutch Cable Thinking That Was The Issue But I Still Have The Same Issue.. This Only Happens In First Gear

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Are you sure it only happens in first gear? If you try to set off in second will it ride normally or does it do the same. If its the same then it sounds like your clutch is worn out or you used car oil with a friction modifier... in either case the clutch will need to be replaced.

Another possible issue could be the actuating mechanism being clogged up with dirt and debris causing a slipping juddering clutch but seems unlikely if it only happens in first. As first is the lowest gear it seems likely any weakness in the clutch would be more apparent in this gear.

If it only does it in first then it sounds like the gearbox needs attention....possibly the gear is stripped or it is failing to mesh properly. This is the worst case scenario as it will entail the entire engine being stripped down to access the gearbox....in which case it may be more sensible to get hold of another engine.

Another possibility is the chain and the sprockets are either worn out or there is so much slack in the chain it slips...although the latter would be easily seen and possibly lead to having to replace both the chain and sprockets.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,784 Posts
I Tightened My Clutch Cable Thinking That Was The Issue But I Still Have The Same Issue.. This Only Happens In First Gear
I won't repeat what Steve said but will add:
You my have made matters worse with your cable adjustment.
There should be a little bit of slack when the clutch lever is NOT pulled in.
It does sound like a clutch problem.
You haven't put "car oil" in it, have you ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Very Kindly For All Your Responses.. It Was The Clutch Plates, They Were No Good, I Had Them Replaced As Well As The Clutch Cable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I'm Having Another Issue.. My Bike Died While I Was Riding Into An Intersection, I Checked All The Fuses And They All Appeared To Be In Good Condition But I Had No Engine Light While The Key Was In The Egnition, So I Put A New Fuse In The Main Fuse Holder For My Bike (Even Though The Main Fuse Was In Good Condition), Got The Engine Light Back On Started The Bike No Problem, About 30 Seconds Later My Bike Died While In Idle. Now Every Time I Start My Bike It Runs For About 30 Seconds And Dies All Over Again.. Not Sure What's Going On Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated..

·
Super Moderator
13,784 Posts
Not Sure What's Going On Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated..
First.......why is every word in your posts CAPITALIZED ??
That is pretty distracting.

Then, you need a multi-meter because you likely are having a complete loss of electrical power.
Bad battery. Bad main battery connection. Bad fuse HOLDER for the main fuse.
Probably a couple of others too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts