Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
As I understand, I thought 14.5 is the target voltage I want to see if charging system is operating properly. Not true?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anywhere's between 13.5V - 14.5V should be good. Some bikes will idle at @13.7V some will idle @14.3V, etc. As long as the readings are within the proper range and remain fairly stable at idle, it's all good.

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
As I understand, I thought 14.5 is the target voltage I want to see if charging system is operating properly. Not true?
No not true with any recent model.

The current electronic voltage regulators are much better at determining what charging voltage is really needed.........instead of just blasting out 14.5 (or more sometimes) and letting the battery dissipate what isn't needed. That was hard on batteries.

The downside of that is if you let your battery get really LOW, the onboard system won't charge it back up to full very fast.

So seeing something around 14.0 should be perfectly fine. If your battery is fully charged already, maybe even a little less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I took the bike out yesterday for a run. After it warmed up, idle voltage was 13.7 and on the road I got a steady reading of 13.9 After sitting overnight I checked the battery. Got a reading of 12.7 When I pull the battery out of the bike and put it on the trickle charger for 2 days, I got a reading of 13.5 I disconnect the charger and after I let it sit for 2 days it drops to 12.75 Seems to be working, if the battery drops below the 12.7 it's time to start checking for a reason for battery drain or maybe a new battery. It was a one year warranted battery and the one year is has expired. Yuasa batteries lasted the longest for me... 4 years. May be time to get MY ASSA down to the store.

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
You are good to go for the moment.

If it sits for a week or more and it goes down to 12.5, you are still good to go.

I don't get concerned until it drops to 12.4 or less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
last year i put a new battery and regulator in and it would not charge over 13.9 volts. so maybe it will only charge according to how much charge tghe battery has in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Getting good readings and holding, I think I'm done with this project guys. Thank for all your help! Stay safe and have a good Christmas. Hold on to the Hope with the New Year and stay in the wind with a good friend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have been on numerous biker forums over the last 20 yrs. and it amazes me how often someone will ask a tech question and never come back to let anyone know if they got their problem resolved. When someone does come back with a note of success, as you have, it's very much appreciated by the rest of us. Glad that you're back on the road and ya done good!

Thanx for the well wishes, and you as well, please have an Excellent Holiday Season! Enjoy & Ride Safe......

81 - 90 of 90 Posts